Capsulorraphy did not hold up well and I'm experiencing pain on the bottom and inner side. Any suggestions?

I had breast augmentation 1 year half ago. At about 2 months one of breast began to lower. I experienced pain in he inner side of breast which I still feel a year and half later even after revision. The revision/caspuslorrhaphy was done a year later and now almost 6 months post op, my breast has lowered and I still feel sharp pain and sometimes a burning sharp pain at the fold area. Will the pain ever go away or will it continue to lower? What would your professional advise be?

Capsulorraphy not holding

From your description it sounds like the capsulorraphy that was done has been inadequate in holding up that breast. My recommendation if you were to redo the surgery, would be to add a better supportive structure like Strattice which is pigskin. Ask your plastic surgeon about their advice regarding Strattice. Good luck.

Capsulorraphy did not hold up well.

If a repair of the capsule was not sucessful, there are other measures which can help hold your implant in position. Some potential solutions involve the use of a supporting material such as Strattice, or Seri mesh. Discuss these options with our surgeon.

I am sorry about the complication you have experienced. Based on your description, it sounds like you are experiencing a recurrence of the breast implant malposition problem.  Again,  based on your surgical history, you may be better off undergoing revisionary breast surgery utilizing additional support material ("internal bra"). Careful selection of your plastic surgeon will be key.

Generally speaking, the use of acellular dermal matrix or bio synthetic mesh for patients in your situation may be helpful occasionally. This material may be helpful as a supportive matrix and help with the breast implant displacement/malposition you are experiencing. Again, I usually recommend their use depending on the patient's anatomy ( for example quality/elasticity of the involved skin) and past surgical history.

You may find the attached link, dedicated to revisionary breast surgery (demonstrating many cases of corrective surgery for patients with "bottoming out" of breast implants) helpful to you as you learn more. You will find a separate page, on the same website, dedicated to bottoming out situations specifically.

Breast implant revision

Considering that you had what sounds like bottoming out of your implants due to laxity of the tissue followed by a capsulorrhaphy which did not work, I do not think repeating the capsulorrhaphy would be effective. Sometimes the use of an internal mesh or biological material to help support the breast implant Will be the answer. This is similar to the techniques that are used during breast reconstruction and can give a supported long-lasting breast augmentation. I would discuss this with the board-certified plastic surgeon in your area who is familiar with breast reconstruction techniques and revisionary breast augmentation surgery.Good luck!

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon