Excess skin, would like a tummy tuck but I also want children in 2-3 years

Hello, I have lost over 100 lbs and make a great candidate for a tummy tuck, I have met with several doctors and gotten different quotes but before I go through with this I want to make sure that I am making the right decision. I want the tummy tuck for a prize to my self, but I eventually want children, maybe within 2-3 years and I am planning to do the tummy tuck in January.. Can I have children in 2-3 years or should I just not do the tummy tuck at all? Thank you

Weight loss - TT - Pregnancy

Your questions are  very good ones. There is no question that you will have a better result if you wait until you've finished having children. You do  have  some options. A 100 pound weight loss will invariably result in a large  flap of over hanging  skin. You  might  consider  undergoing a panniculectomy initially as  your reward and then wait until  your child bearing is completed and have to  full TT with muscle  tightening. Doing this  really does not "burn" any bridges to having  a full TT in the future. It also will allow you to adjust your  clothing to fit  better. Ask your PS about the idea of a  panniculectomy, knowing that  a full TT will be needed in the future.

Waldorf Plastic Surgeon

Congratulations on your weight loss.  You certainly can proceed  with a tummy tuck at this point.  However he must understand that pregnancy after tummy tuck will stretch her skin and most likely adversely affect her result.  In my practice I recommend the patient's wait until they are finished having children before undergoing a tummy tuck procedure.

Timing of tummy tuck surgery ultimately a very personal decision…

Thank you for the question. You should be very proud of your significant weight loss! Based on your weight loss history, description of concerns, and goals, I think it would be perfectly reasonable to undergo tummy tuck surgery at this point, as long as you understand that additional surgery may (or may not) be necessary subsequent to pregnancies.

Although successful pregnancy is possible after previous tummy tuck surgery, pregnancy after tummy tuck may cause CHANGES that MAY require further surgery to correct.  Ultimately, especially in situations like yours, timing of tummy tuck surgery will be a very personal decision that can only made after careful consideration of pros and cons associated with each option.   

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to abdominal wall contouring surgery concerns) helps.  You will find a separate page, on the same website, dedicated to patients who have experienced significant weight loss.  Again, congratulations on your accomplishments. Best wishes.

A Tummy Tuck Before Having Kids?

Congratulations on your weight loss! I advise my patients to wait until they are finished having children before having a tummy tuck that includes a tightening of the abdominal muscles, however you could have a tummy tuck that removes excess skin.

Miguel Delgado, MD