Should I be worried that my left breast is more swollen than my right? (photos)

I'm day 5 post op. My left breast has been more swollen than the right for a few days now. Also more tender. I know my doctor originally put in 350cc in the left and 400 in the right but decided that didn't look right so he changed the left to 400 as well. Is the extra swelling bc of that?

Great Question

This is probably the most common question I get after breast surgery.  The first part of the answer is that it is common to have one side that is more swollen than the other.  However if the difference is extreme or progressing then it needs to be investigated.  What everyone worries about is a hematoma or collection of blood inside the breast.  A hematoma that needs surgical attention will be extreme.  By that I mean the affected side will be swollen up to the collarbone or at least 1/3 larger than the "unswollen" side.  Usually it will be accompanied by marked pain as well.

Your photos look like the swelling is mild. The best rule of thumb is to see your surgeon.

Mobile Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetrical swelling

Hello, it's not uncommon for one breast to be a little more swollen than the other after surgery.  However, it is always safest to contact your plastic surgeon's office to discuss any of your concerns, to ensure you are healing normally.

Swelling after breast Augmentation

Swelling of course happens with all breast augmentation's, it's also very common to have one side and more swollen than the other. This is  typically the case in the first week or two after surgery.  It wasn't clear to me from your post if you had more than one surgery on the breast to change out the size of the implants.  Monitor things closely they should become more symmetrical as time goes on, Good luck 

John Paletta, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant swelling

It is normal and expected to have swelling after having breast augmentation surgery. It is not uncommon to have more swelling in one breast. If you are concerned contact your surgeon to be examined. Best wishes.

Left breast more swollen than right after surgery

Five days after surgery it is common to have significant swelling,and one side frequently more swollen than the other. If your surgeon changed the actual implant (rather than add addition fill, this might contribute to additional swelling. From your photos, the left side does not appear markedly bruised, which might indicate a hematoma. If you have concerns about the difference, you should contact your surgeon .

Swelling after breast augmentation

Swelling happens after all surgery, but especially after augmentation. At this point swelling is expected and asymmetric swelling is common as well. It sounds like your left breast had a little more done to it, with the exchange of the implant, as well as it might have been slightly larger than the right. Both of these can contribute to the differences you are seeing. Time will tell, but i believe you should have an excellent result. If you are still concerned, let your surgeon know on your next visit.

Eric Weiss MD

Eric Weiss, MD, FACS
Orange Park Plastic Surgeon

Implants

Swelling is common early post-op, If you have any concerns, then you should probably see your surgeon to be evaluated in person. Good luck.

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and photographs.

Without preoperative photographs, it is hard to determine whether the slight asymmetry is due to swelling or your anatomy. If you had asymmetry between the breasts prior then placing two different sized implants would have corrected this. If it is due to swelling this should continue to resolve over the next few weeks. You are still early in your recovery period and while there is swelling present, the breasts may appear uneven or out of place. Over the next 6-8 weeks the swelling should begin to resolve and the breasts will start to drop into their pockets and appear more natural and symmetrical. Everyone heals at different rates and one side may heal quicker than the other. I would wait until you are at least 6 months post op to make a final judgement about your breasts. Best of luck in your recovery.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Breasts after Implants

It may take up to six months for your final results; you still may have some swelling at this time.  If your breasts were asymmetrical before surgery and the same size implants were used, you will have asymmetry afterwards.  You should continue to follow all of your postoperative instructions given by your plastic surgeon.  You can follow up with him to address your concerns. Good luck.

Andrew Freel, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon