To sitz bath or not? Labiaplasty

I have heard so many different opinions on taking sitz bath after a labiaplasty. I am scared my stitches will dissolve too early I am 6 days post op. Not sure when stitches should start dissolving?

Sits baths after labiaplasty

I personally do not recommend soaking or sitz baths after a labiaplasty procedure. Icing is helpful after surgery for comfort and to reduce postoperative swelling.

Bathing after labiaplasty

Hello Maylin,

I do not recommend immersion to my post-op labiaplasty patients but your surgeon may have a different protocol. I would rfer to your surgeon on post-operarieve care after his or her procedure.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

No Sitz bath

Thank you for your question.  Many of us have slight variations in our post op instructions but the basics are follow your instructions :)
No bathing for the first four weeks, although quick showers are great.   We prefer to use an estrogen base cream although this is not always necessary depending on the patients age and a antibiotic ointment we apply twice a day for the first week.

Sitz Baths After Labiaplasty

Dear Maylin,

Thank you for your question.  I do use sitz baths with some of my post-operative cosmetic-plastic gynecology procedures, but I DO NOT recommend sitz baths following labiaplasty surgeries.  Showers and rinses with peri-bottles are allowed, but no tub baths for 6 weeks.  Again, this is my recommendation based on the surgical techniques that I perform.  Always share your concerns with your surgeon and follow his recommendations.  All the best with your recovery.

Take Care,
Dr. Serrao

Don't stress about a sitz bath

Basically, the rules are: follow your doctor's instructions. That's tough if you don't really like what's happening, but your stuck with that for now.
I tell patients they can shower the next day, and to spray the area with warm water after urinating or bowel movements, and to apply bacitracin twice a day and use a maxi pad, and ice on the area when needed. That's it. That's my instructions.
I use dissolvable sutures that are buried within the skin, so there are only 2 or 3 sutures that can be seen, not a baseball stitch running along the entire opening like most doctors. These dissolve in 10 days for me but it depends on what sutures your doctor used. You should ask.

Sitz baths following labiaplasty

I would also recommend following the specific advice of your plastic surgeon.  My post-operative instructions allow for showers, but not immersion.  The suture material used routinely for closure in this area is profoundly affected by hydration, and they can dissolve and unravel with prolonged exposure to water.  Best wishes for a wonderful result!

"Sitz baths" & genital plastic/cosmetic surgery

The specific answer for you of course is between you & your surgeon, but here is what  advise"
1. Labiaplasty/hood reduction: Good genital plastic/cosmetic surgeons use very fine sutures on & under the skin. Eater soaking could hasten their dissolving, so I advise no immersion X 10 days after surgery. Rinses & showers fine.
2. Perineoplasy/Vaginoplasty. Bigger sutures here. In my opinion, sitz bathe fine 2X/day, & helpful, but-- if you've had a LP along with your vaginal tightening, then the "no sitz X 10 days apply.

Michael P Goodman MD

Sitz Baths after Labiaplasty

Dear Ms. Maylin Gonzalez,

It is not recommended to do sitz baths immediately after surgery. This can definitely cause for the stitches to dissolve (If dissolvable sutures were placed).No tub baths for 6 weeks or until the stitches are absorbed. Most of the sutures will absorb in 4-6 weeks. Swelling is very normal after surgery and usually, our patients notice that the swelling starts going down 7-14 days after surgery. Everyone is different and heals differently, but in general you can return to work in 7 days. You are completely healed in 6 weeks and can do any activity you want. It is best that you wait on exercise until 6 weeks after surgery. It is best to follow your physician's instructions and give yourself time to heal.

Bathing after labiaplasty

Hi. The most appropriate answer would be for you to contact your surgeon - they are best placed to advise. For what it is worth, I allow my patients to bath or shower immediately post op and have seen no issues related to this at all - neither wound infection, separation or early dissolving of sutures..

Paul Jason Skoll, MBChB, FRCS, FCS (SA) Plast
South Africa Plastic Surgeon

Sitz baths are for hemorrhoids and open sores, NOT for labiaplasty.

It's surprising how often this issue comes up. Here's your answer: NO. It's not opinion, it's basic physiology.

Swollen intact skin responds well to sitz baths and so do open sores. However, surgical scars will soften when soaked in water and warm water will increase swelling and blood flow which puts unwanted pressure on stitches. If you add bath salts (aka magnesium sulfate) to the water, you will cause the blood vessels to dilate and increase the swelling and blood flow. Increased blood flow in an area that already has a good blood flow increases the risk for hematomas.