Chin fillers or implant? (photos)

I'd like to be able to bring my chin out a little more. My chin is a bit receded as you'll see in pictures. I'd like to know if I should go with fillers or an implant. Thank you!

Chin implant vs. fillers

Judging from the photo you provided, I believe you would be a good candidate for chin implant surgery. While fillers can also be used, you would require a significant amount, which would be a considerable expense for a temporary improvement. Although permanent fillers exist, I do not recommend this option. Chin implantation is a simple, low risk, and easy recovery procedure that provides a natural long lasting result. There are several materials used for chin implantation, but Silicone (called Silastic) is the one most commonly used. Some surgeons use a technique called sliding genioplasty which consist of cutting a part of the bone of the chin and sliding it forward and screwing it in place to project the chin forward. This technique, in my opinion, is longer and is associated with some issues such as a "step" deformity, where one can feel the edge of the bone on the side of the chin. An implant is simpler and provides a more predictably natural result and it is quite safe with complications being quite rare. There are two ways to insert it: one through the mouth by making an incision between the gum and the lip on the inside of the mouth, while the other is through a short incision under the chin. I favour the latter. The scar is small and usually very well hidden.

Best of luck. Mark Samaha, MD

Montreal Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin fillers or implant?

A Chin enhancement either by implant or osseous genioplasty (move the bony chin forward)  is a more permanent way to create symmetry and balance to the lower jawline and create a stronger, more prominent chin. A thorough evaluation of your dental occlusion and facial features is the first step before proceeding. Fillers would appear to be insufficient to correct your appearance as viewed in these photos. Schedule an appointment with an ABPS certified plastic surgeon for a full evaluation and treatment recommendation. Good luck! 

Norman H. Rappaport, MD

Chin Augmentation

Your chin is very short and using fillers is a waste of money since they are not permanent and will not produce a strong effect. While a chin implant is much more effective, a sliding genioplasty is better for you given the large amount of chin augmentation you need.

Chin fillers or implant?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.  A dermal filler can be used but the effects are temporary.

Hope this helps.

Chin implant vs filler

Karla, thank you for your question. The concern I have with simply saying "you would do great with a chin implant" is the position of your jaw. Your occlusion (how your teeth come together) plays a big part in the decision making process. Often when a patient has a weak chin, they may benefit from orthognathic evaluation by an oral surgeon. To be honest with you the best way to get a good idea in your case would be with a physical exam. I hope this helps! 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin fillers or implant?

Try 2 syringes of long lasting HA fillers first to see if the results are large enough. Either Restylane Lyft or Juverderm's Voluma.

Chin fillers or implants?

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation