Tummy tuck bulging above belly button 10 weeks PO. (photos)

I am 10 weeks PO. I had a full TT with muscle repair and lipo on flanks. At about 4 weeks I noticed the muscle above my belly button was the most tender/ painful part of recovery. My dr said that it could be the top layer of tissue suture tearing. Said to possibly get a cortisone shot if still hurting weeks later. At 10 weeks I saw my dr it still super tender/painful and gets really swollen by the end of the day. He claims he doesn't know what it could be. Any thoughts?

Tender swelling after Abdominoplasty

If this area above your belly button is mostly swollen at the end of the day, it is actually just likely related to swelling. It is common to have swelling of your belly even 3 months after a tummy tuck and especially at the end of the day. This is definitely the location that can hurt as well since the muscle work is done here. From your pictures, you look like you have a great result which will likely improve over the next 3 months. Best wishes!

Pain and swelling

If your surgeon tightened your rectus muscle above the belly button that would be creating the soreness. It takes several months for the swelling to subside. It can take 4-6 months even a year.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Pain in Abdomen after Tummy Tuck

Your results look quite good for 10 weeks after a tummy tuck. Unless you have a small hernia which your surgeon should be able to tell by examination, I would not worry too much about still having pain at this point. Your abdomen will take 3 to 6 months to completely heal. You may also be experiencing more pain if you are lifting too much weight or trying to get back to exercising too early. Take it easy and let your body recover.If the pain persists after a few more months, a CT scan may help to determine the cause. Rarely, nerve entrapment from the plication sutures can cause persistent pain. If this is thought to be the cause, a nerve block will usually work for this.