Is it ok to stay with saline implants when exchanging for a larger size? (Photo)

I currently have 420cc & 390cc Saline implants filled to 520cc's and 490cc's (placed 2yrs ago). Obviously, I need a lift on the right-side and I am having this done along with an implant exchange to increase the size. My surgeon did not mention any issues with going bigger with saline, but after researching online, I have doubts about it looking good. I am planning to increase by 160cc's to go up approx. one size. Will saline be ok for me?

It is ok to stay with saline implants.

If you have felt well with the saline implants you should be able to stay with saline, even when you size up. The look between saline and silicone is very much the same, expect perhaps with some high profile implants. The feel and ripple tendency is what makes the two distinct.

Saline Implants

I think the decision to choose saline vs. silicone is entirely personal preference.  The increase in size should make no difference to what you choose except that if you pick silicone, you will need to go about 100cc bigger just to be the same size because your muscle pushes the silicone down further which makes it look smaller.  There are good and bad things about both types of implants - saline is less expensive, and made of salt water which is a natural component of our bodies.  The bad things are that they feel and sometimes look less natural and you can get rippling which can be only palpable (you can feel it) or visual also (you can see it).  Best of luck!

Saline or Silicone

Saline has a higher rate of rippling and a higher rupture rate. It often feels and looks less natural with larger sizes. The breast lift is important for better symmetry and less 'droopiness' regardless of implant type. Going that large can also cause other issues with time like tissue stretch and movement of the inferior border. Make sure you choose an experienced surgeon who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the ASAPS. 

Richard Dale Reynolds, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Saline versus Silicone Breast Implants with Breast Lift.

Thank you for your question. I believe that I answered one of your other questions.

I my opinion, silicone is tolerated better than saline in the larger implant sizes.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

Good Luck!

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Saline ok?

Thanks for the question and photos. Whether to use saline vs silicone implants is a personal decision. There are advantages/disadvantages to both type of implants. Since you are going larger, the implant has more chance of feeling harder and having more rippling than silicone. If neither has been an issue for you, saline will be fine. You should discuss these issues with your board certified Plastic Surgeon. Good luck!

Jeffrey Umansky, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Is it ok to stay with saline implants when exchanging for a larger size?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to remove/replace saline breast implants during revisionary breast surgery. Best to discuss the pros/cons associated with saline versus silicone gel breast implants in detail with your plastic surgeon in order to make an informed decision. Make sure you communicate your goals carefully as well. Your goals may influence type of breast implant recommended. Best wishes.

Breast Revision Going larger - Saline vs Silicone

Either Saline or Silicone implants can be used at any size, however saline implants tend to have a bit too much bounce (water hammer effect) with running and jumping, cause more waviness and tend to have a greater incidence of rippling and contracture. Silicone implants have more of a natural feel.

That is a very very personal decision. I prefer silicone but it is your final decision in my view......