Long lasting ultra deep fillers like voluma form biofilms?

Do long lasting ultra deep fillers like voluma form Biofilms around them like an implant or permanent filler? Is this a problem for patient with an abscess tooth? What are the risk of having the cheek augmentation while having the abscess tooth?

Voluma and Biofilms

Any injection can potentially cause a biofilm.  I would advise against having any injection while you have an active tooth injection.  Best, Dr. Green

Fillers and Complications Like Biofilms

Any filler has the potential to get biofilms and shouldn't be injected in anyone that has teeth or gum issues like infection or inflammation that is not already controlled.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Best to avoid injections with infections

It is best to avoid injections with infections.  Biofilms and fillers are an area of study and interest.  It seems biofilm type infections can come from filler injections so it is important to avoid an injection if there is an infection.
Hyaluronic acid injections such as Voluma can be dissolved, and this may clear a biofilm infection, but it is better to avoid the risk. 

Never get filler injection with known infection

All fillers can form biofilm. Longer lasting fillers are more at risk simply because they stick around longer. Biofilm is introduced during placement and remain quite until something activates it. Biofilm is the result of bacteria being dragged in during the placement of the filler. What you are describing is different. A known infection, particularly a dental infection is at risk to spread to an area that has filler. The bacteria either spread directly or via the blood stream to the filler and get caught around the filler. I tell my patients to wait a week after a dental procedure to have filler, longer if there was an infection. After filler, I tell them to wait about 3 weeks for any dental procedure. Even routine dental cleaning can cause bacteria to go through the blood stream. Even if the physician's technique is perfect, fillers can get infected by spreading through the blood stream.

Steven F. Weiner, MD