I had gastric bypass in March of last year. Now i have skin that needs to be removed. Will insurance cover it? (Photo)

I have extra skin on my arms and legs that need to get removed. My question is i have caresource for my insurance. And I really need to have this skin removed.

Arms legs after weigh loss

Insurance normally cover plastic surgery after weigh loss only in severe cases when the extra skin is   affecting your health such as having  skin infections  or severe rashes

Many plans will cover some procedures

Our policy is to submit all of the proposed procedures to the insurance companies.  We present any documentation from referring physicians regarding functional disabilities associated with the excess skin, such as rashes and infections.  Often the insurance companies will have criteria that must be met to consider coverage.  We have found that when patients contact the insurance company personally and work with a patient advocate in the insurance company, more favorable outcomes are obtained.

Marisa Lawrence, MD

Post-weight loss surgery - will insurance pay?

Thank you for asking about your arm lift afer major weight loss.I doubt very much that your insurance will pay for any surgery to remove loose skin after major weight loss. Almost every insurer will consider skin removal a cosmetic procedure. There are some exceptions for unusual cases. Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

I had gastric bypass in March of last year.

Insurance companies usually cover bariatric surgery because the weight loss will make you more healthy. As much as you dislike the resulting skin excess, it is not a health risk and thus not covered by health insurance.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

I had gastric bypass in March of last year. Now i have skin that needs to be removed. Will insurance cover it?

Most insurance companies do not cover the removal of extra skin on the arms and legs. You should check with your insurance carrier to be sure.

Extra skin

Insurance coverage for weight loss contouring is variable. Usually arms and legs are not covered by insurance but you should check with your plan for coverage options 

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Arm Lift and Thigh Lift Very Beneficial after Major Weight Loss #armlift #thighlift

• Insurance companies do not cover arm lifts or thigh lifts. 
  • Definitely consider meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon to find out more about these procedures and what the associated costs are.