I had CoolSculpting a week ago on the lower flanks, no soreness or pain during procedure. Was it done correctly?

I had zero pain during the procedure and I am now one week out and have had no soreness or the tingling everyone else talks about. I know my Doctor has only had the cool sculpting machine for a month so now I am wondering if it was done correctly?

Coolsculpting

Most people don't experience pain, tingling, soreness etc. This is normal and doent not indicate that the treatment didn't work. Coolsculpting is an excellent form of non-invasive  fat reduction for the right patient. Some applicators take 1 or 2 hours but the new advantage applicators take only 35 minutes and have significantly less risk for delayed onset pain (especially in the abdomen). Results are seen at 2 months and typically 1-3 treatments will be necessary on each area to achieve ideal results. The number of treatments depends on the amount of fat there and the patient's goals.  There is not downtime and the results can be impressive in the right patient.  We also use the Zimmer Z-wave for improved patient comfort and added results. The best candidates are those who are in pretty good shape with areas of stubborn fat that won't go away no matter what.

My best,

Sheila Nazarian, MD, MMM

Beverly Hills, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting does not have to be painful to work

As a matter of fact, the best reason to have CoolSculpting, besides the fact that it actually works, is that it causes minimal discomfort. While some patients can have tenderness and swelling for up to 3 weeks after the procedure, there are many who don't. And with the new CoolAdvantage and CoolAdvantageplus applicators, the swelling and tenderness is much less frequent. As on of few centers in the country with the opportunity to work with the new CoolAdvantage plus applicators, we can honestly say that so far, we have had NONE of the delayed onset pain we saw with the oldstyle CoolMax. So have no fear, lack of pain is great and no indication that your treatment will be ineffective.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting works without causing discomfort

Hi kristyn85.  Glad to hear you are having no discomfort-it really is not unusual to not have any.  During the treatment, if your applicator stayed on, the machine did not signal an error code, and you had a discrete reddened and raised area, chances are that everything was done correctly.  During your post-treatment massage of the area, your provider can actually feel ice crystals crunching within the frozen fat---the two minute massage has been shown to improve results.  If you had excess fat (and not extra skin), you should see some results in the next 2 months. Hang in there, as many patients do not see results as soon as one month.  Best wishes,

Coolsculpting and No Pain

The majority of patients have no pain during or after the procedure, especially in this area.  I would not worry that it was performed incorrectly.  The cool-advantage, which is the newer applicator takes only 35 minutes and is more comfortable than previous ones.  Please consult an expert in Coolsculpting for the best cosmetic results.  Best, Dr. Green

No pain with coolsculpting

I have had many patients report minimal pain while having the treatments done. I have even seen someone sleep during the treatment.  Your  experience is not uncommon. Remember the results will take weeks as the fat is resorbed. As a reassurance, the machine will let you know if it is not functioning properly and the treatment cannot be performed.

Best of luck

Helena Guarda, MD
Suffolk Plastic Surgeon

No real discomfort after CoolSculpting, did it work?

Hello kristyn85,

Thank you for your question. First let me congratulate you for sailing through a CoolSculpting treatment so effortlessly. Second let me reassure you that what you are experiencing is more the norm than the exception. Thirdly, in my experience, the flanks tend to not really bother people as much as the abdomen when compared cycle to cycle. As you know your results will start to be noticeable in about a month with the peak result at around three months. Lastly understand that "pain" is very subjective and will vary widely person to person from the same event. Enjoy your results and be well. 

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Worried because I had no pain or side effects after Coolsculpting

This is the norm for most people. I wouldn't worry at all. Your results should be normal. The Cooladvantage and Zimmer Z Wave when added give less side effects and better results. Realself tends to get the people that have more side effects vs the ones that glide right through the procedure.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Getting the Best Results with Coolsculpting, Vanquish, Venus Legacy, Exilis Ultra

Pain and swelling after Coolsculpting can be variable to the individual. The absence of pain doesn't mean it wasn't performed correctly. It will be a few months until your final results. With Coolsculpting,  I do recommend adding a combination with radiofrequency treatments like Vanquish, Venus Legacy, Exilis Ultra for skin tightening and with Z wave/Cellutone for skin smoothing in order to get the best results. VASER Hi Def with ThermiRF, ultrasound and fat grafting are also options, if you're a candidate. See an expert for a formal evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

Coolsculpting and pain

The amount of pain during or after the treatment does not directly correlate with the results. Give it a few months to see the full effect of the treatment on your body.  Good luck with your continued transformation.

Michelle Ellern, DO
Livingston Physician

Coolsculpting

coolsculpting selectively freezes fat cells to induce programmed cell death. It is not a painful procedure for most patients. And pain can be a variable experience between different indivuals. You should see a result in the next one to three months. Give yourself some time to say the effects. If there are concerns after one to three months, please follow up with your doctor.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon