I have basal cell carcinoma between my nostrils. Should I consult a plastic surgeon for reconstruction or have MOHs dr do it?

Mohs surgery

For cosmetically and functionally sensitive areas (such as the face and nose), Mohs surgery is best at ensuring complete resection of a basal cell carcinoma while preserving as much healthy skin as possible.  Subsequent reconstruction may be performed by the Mohs surgeon or a plastic surgeon.  Lots of Mohs surgeons do excellent reconstruction, and should advise you of your treatment options.  As a Facial Plastic Surgeon, I see reconstruction referrals for large facial defects that the Mohs surgeon does not feel comfortable closing, or at the patient's request for a reconstruction by a plastic surgeon.  Good luck with treatment!

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reconstruction after Mohs surgery

Completely agree with the previous answer.  In addition, you can be assured that the skin cancer is tested and successfully removed right there and then.  If you go another route (other than Mohs), you may take the risk of not successfully clearing the surgical margins and thus have to be treated again in the future.

Joshua E. Lane, MD, MBA
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

Reconstruction after Mohs surgery

This is a very common question. If you are seeing a fellowship trained (member of the American College of Mohs surgery) Mohs surgeon, they have formal training in reconstructive surgery for skin cancer. This not only allows you to get the best cure rate but also someone with the most extensive training in skin cancer reconstructive surgery. Moreover, typically the reconstruction can be done at the same visit as the Mohs surgery, thereby also making it more convenient and cost effective for our patients as well. Discuss this with your dermatologist and Mohs surgery if you have any particular concerns. 

Omar Ibrahimi, MD, PhD
Stamford Dermatologic Surgeon