This is a follow up question to the one I asked about adding more lido to juvederm

How much more lidocaine would be adiquit to add to the juvederm since it already has lido? Is it possible to add to much? And what would happen?

Lidocaine can be added to Juvederm

I find it useful to add some additional lidocaine to the Juvederm.
This changes the viscoelastic properties of the Juvederm and makes it a little less painful and helps with not overcorrecting any areas of injection.  The entire syringe is injected so you are not being shorted with product.
Other adjuncts for reducing pain include topical anesthetics (give it time to work), ice, frozen needles, and the use of blunt needles. 
Mixing lidocaine in additional lidocaine does not alter the first injection but makes followup injections much, much easier.

Juverderm and lidocaine

I would not add more lidocaine than recommended per the manufacturer. It will just add volume and dilute the product. An injector would have less control on the final result and volume injected. Talk to your injector about topical anesthesia if you are concerned with pain.

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Lidocaine to Juvederm

I do not add additional lidocaine to Juvederm and wouldn't recommend it as it could dilute the product. I would recommend using topical lidocaine for additional numbing. We use a lot of topical lidocaine in my practice as it works great to help alleviate pain from the injections.

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Juvederm and Lidocaine

I would recommend topical lidocaine if you are worried about pain. It is not good practice to further dilute the product with more lidocaine since it may not be even after the dilution.  Best, Dr. Green

Lidocaine Added to Juvederm

I would not suggest adding more Lidocaine to Juvederm. The manufacturer formulates the filler with Lidocaine to ensure patient safety and comfort while allowing injectors to achieve a predictable result.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Lidocaine to Juvederm

I do not add any additional Lidocaine to Juvederm due to it already containing enough. If you still have discomfort, try a topical numbing treatment or even just using ice for 5-10 minutes before the procedure.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

More lidocaine to Juvederm

Thank you for the question.  I have not done this with my patients as I feel the product has a enough Lidocaine already.  However, I do routinely use topical lidocaine prior to the procedure which helps patients. 

Michael Bublik, MD