How difficult is it to create even areolas during a breast reduction? (Photo)

I had a breast reduction about a year ago. One of my areolas (left side) is significantly larger than the other. My right breast started out a couple cup sizes larger than the left (both sides had a reduction) - could this be what caused the unevenness in my areola? Does taking out more glandular tissue from one breast necessitate that the areola be smaller too, or is the areola just normal skin, but with some pigment? Could a revision help me?

Symmetry after breast reduction in Melbourne, Florida

With regards to the appearance of areolae after breast reduction
surgery, I advise patients to consider the same thing for that as I advise for
breast size and shape, which is that breasts are sisters, not twins.  They
are not perfectly the same before surgery and we do not expect them to be
perfectly the same after surgery.  While, of course, the goal is to get
them as close as possible, inevitably the breasts settle and heal differently
from one another and this to some degree is expected.  I would discuss
your concerns with your board-certified plastic surgeon for further
consideration of this concern.  I hope this is helpful.  Best of

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction

Thank you for your question and picture.  Breasts are never identical, neither before surgery nor after surgery.  This is especially true when they start out very asymmetrical.  That said, I think that you have a very nice result from your reduction.  So, minor revisions can be done at times to improve symmetry.  

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Areolas

Thank you for your question.  For many of the reasons you mentioned, it can be difficult to get areolae s perfectly even on the first go.   The larger the degree of asymmetry between breasts, the harder it is to control the forces that affect areolar spread.  The good news is that revision is very straight forward, can address any residual asymmetry and can be performed under local anesthesia.  Best wishes!

Uneven Areolas

There are multiple things that can contribute to the result, like how each wound healed, how much breast tissue was removed and the original amount of asymmetry. Your surgeon may have a revision policy in place for things just like this.

John Allan Ness, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Uneven areolas after breast reduction surgery

I always tell my patients that no two breasts start off exactly alike and no two breasts end up exactly alike. Differences in skin tension, wound healing, amount of tissue removed, etc can account for any asymmetry, and this is easily addressed with a scar revision to either make the smaller areola appear larger or to shrink down the larger areola to match the smaller one. 

Tracy Kayan, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon