My right nipple/areola hasn't "pinked up" like the left one. Is this normal? (photo)

I'm 6 days post op after breast reduction surgery. My surgeon said he did my right breast first, then my left one. He noticed my right breast was discolored so he opened it back up and found the flap had folded and was restricting blood flow. He corrected the issue and reclosed it. He said that is why it is more swollen and still discolored. I'm getting concerned because I haven't seen any improvement in the color of the right nipple/areola for 2 days and the breast itself is still more swollen than the left. Should I be concerned?

Hello! Breast Reduction results vary...

Hello! Thanks for the photo.
Breast Reduction results to vary, but I am concerned for the nipple too.
After this many days, it will be " declaring itself" as either alive tissue or not.
Tissue that has a decreased blood supply will ultimately turn dark-- even like a scab and need to be removed. There can be some tissue under this that is either alive or not too-- so you should be following closely with your doctor.
Good Luck.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Discoloration

Thank you for your question and photo.  The nipple discoloration that you are noticing is not something that is uncommon.  However, for you to have optimal healing, be sure that you closely follow the post-op instructions of your operating surgeon.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Nipple discoloration

Based on your description, your surgeon absolutely did the right thing. Swelling and nipple discoloration after breast reduction can be very common ,especially after the issue related to the right breast. Once the swelling resolves, this will pink up with time. This can take longer than 2 days. Close follow up with your plastic surgeon is important. Breast swelling will take 3 months to resolve and your final breast shape will not be known for at least 6 months.You should not be concerned, because your plastic surgeon is following you closely and will give you recommendations and instructions as you heal. 

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Discoloration of nipple

Discoloration of the nipple and areola after breast reduction is quite common. As the swelling reduces, and the blood supply improves, the pink color will usually return. Ask your plastic surgeon if a drug like Nitro paste which tends to make blood vessels wider will be helpful in your situation. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Asymmetric appearance of the areola after breast reduction.

Asymmetry of color of the areola after breast reduction is not terribly uncommon. It does not mean that the right areola is in jeopardy. Nevertheless, this is something that needs to be monitored by your own surgeon.