CoolSculpting and the effect of poor diet; would it cancel the results?

I read reviews that poor diet would cancel out the outcome of cool sculpting. Since fat cells do not increase in numbers by poor diet, and once gone, it's gone, why would it cancel the effect of cool sculpting?

Thank you for your question. CoolSculpting reduces 25% of the fat cells in a treatment area, not 100%. If you were to have a poor diet after this treatment, you would gain weight everywhere, including your treated areas. 

Regards, 

Coolsculpting and Diet

Any poor diet or lack of exercise limits the results from any fat reduction procedure. I suggest maintaining a good diet and exercise!  Best, Dr. Emer.

Cool Sculpt and poor diet

The ideal candidate for Cool Sculpt is one at a healthy height and weight with problem areas. I always tell our clients that you will enjoy best results if you are someone who has consistent weight and live a healthy lifestyle. This is not a weight loss option so if you think that you aren't able to follow a healthy diet and maintain your weight I would not choose cool sculpting. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting and Poor diet

If you are going to gain weight then there is no use in getting Coolsculpting since you will gain weight everywhere, including the treated areas.  It is important to maintain your weight to maintain the great results from Coolsculpting.  Best, Dr. Green

CoolSculpting and poor diet

Dear janflora:

When you gain weight, all the fat cells of your body get larger because they need to store more fat, and when you lose weight, they all get smaller. Without any treatment, you have a given number of fat cells at birth, and that number does not change throughout your lifetime (with the exception of someone who is severely obese, in which case the cells can increase in number), but with treatment, the number of cells in the treated area is permanently reduced. Those cells will not be replaced with new cells, and you will reduce the volume of fat in the area you treat. And you will put less fat on in the treated area with weight gain than you would have had you never had the treatment. Relative to the rest of your body, you will always have less fat in the treated area than you did before.

Now, this is a bit of a simplification, since there are factors that influence the amount of fat that will be stored in the fat cells in different areas of the body. For example, cortisol and insulin allow more fat to be stored in the fat cells around the waistline. If your diet is rich in foods that increase insulin secretion (foods with high glycemic index), your visceral fat (within the abdominal cavity) can increase, making it look as though you are putting on more weight around the waistline than elsewhere. But with regard to your question, it is fair to say that If you had CoolSculpting to the abdomen, the fat layer in that area will always be thinner than if you never had the treatment no matter how much weight you gain.

All the best to you,
Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Coolsculpting

Fat cells are able to store differing amounts of fat. Even though fat cells are diminished with coolsculpting, the procedure leaves some remaining. If the remaining cells expand, it can alter what you see.

Timothy Fee, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon