Do anatomicals give projection and lessen the potential upper pole roundness?

Read that silicone will settle and anatomicals haven't proven to be more or less effective. They come with greater risks of shifting. I have a tight and fairly muscular chest from weight lifting. Would anatomicals be less likely to become trapped and held high by chest muscles, preventing them from dropping?

Anatomic implants

Thank you for your question. You will find ,as I am sure you probably already have, that most of us do not use the anatomic products that frequently. They do have a nice role to play in reconstruction, however, their cost, potential for rotation, pocket requirements and more firm gel for me limit its usefulness. With a well sized implant  you should not worry about upper pole volume especially if you image pre operatively. Best of luck!

Anatomic breast implants

In my practice I mostly use round implants. The anatomical implants are more expensive and can be more difficult to place. I feel the round implants give a more  natural look. Generally the anatomic implants are used mostly in breast reconstruction. If you're concerned about the implant not dropping, use a smooth wall implant. 

Anatomical Implants

Since their introduction a few years ago, anaotmical gel implants have failed to make much of an impact in plastic surgery.  I use them occasionally with patients that specifically ask for them.   The results are natural but the added cost and potential risks of rotation are often the reasons why patients opt for smooth round implants.  The pole can be full, but it also depends on the type of shaped implant you choose. 

Good research!

You're right -- there's no conclusive proof that anatomicals are better.  Personally, I believe that a round submuscular implant always gives a more natural result -- especially if you are lean.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Silicone Implants/Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The best way to determine implant size is based on chest wall measurements that fit your body. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.

Implants under the muscle, there is less risk of capsular contracture. Anatomic implants tend to give a more natural shape with more nipple projection.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Would anatomicals be less likely to become trapped and held high.

Shaped or anatomical implants do have a place in carefully selected candidates, and the concept is better projection and less rounding of the upper breast. They are however stiffer to maintain the shape with less flow like the natural breast, and they are textured to resist rotation. The texture makes them more likely to become trapped or high if not positioed very carefully.

Anatomic Implants

I think there are good and bad things about Anatomic implants and how natural they appear. It is true that they decrease the upper pole roundness but they are much more firm feeling which appears a little LESS natural to me. The silicone gel implants have more projection up top but with gravity (standing position), they tend to create a more natural appearance in comparison to saline implants which maintain their very round look. Neither of these implants are more or less likely to become trapped and held high by the chest muscles - I believe that the best way to prevent this problem, is to refrain from pectoral muscle work-outs for 3 months while the implants completely settle. If they appear to be getting "stuck" up high, a breast band can be worn to allow them to settle correctly. The last way to prevent this problem is to use a Dual-Plane technique which allows the implant to sit below the muscle but settle into the fold naturally. Best wishes!

Anatomical implants and upper pole fullness

Thank you for your question. Anatomical implants are typically going to be used in patients who have very little breast tissue and patients who want a more "natural" tear-drop shaped implant.

There are going to be trade-offs with every type of implant and anatomical implants are no exception. With anatomical implants, you do sacrifice upper pole fullness for a more natural looking result. They are going to be more firm than a round silicone implant and while techniques and technology have improved, they can still tend to rotate in the pocket. But, this risk can be greatly decreased by having a plastic surgeon who highly trained in using anatomical implants.

My suggestion for you is to consult with board certified plastic surgeons to discuss your options to help determine what is best suited for you and your body frame.

Good luck,

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Anatomical Implants

Thanks for the question. Yes, anatomical implants will deliver a fuller lower pole with a more natural sloped upper pole. They are a great choice for someone who wants a very natural look without wanting that upper pole fullness that a round implant can offer.  

M. Bradley Calobrace, MD, FACS

Anatomical implants -yes or no?

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• Yes - anatomical implants have less upper pole fullness. 
  • Anatomical implants have advantages and disadvantages -
  • They are firmer so even if they rupture, they are less likely to leak silicone gel.
  • They are a natural shape, with less upper breast roundness.
  • They are asymmetric - so they can shift out of position and look quite odd.
  • They are more expensive - because they are more complex to manufacture.
  • This is a complex decision - and best to discuss with your plastic surgeon since there are many variables to consider in choosing your breast implant.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.