Is 9 Days Post Op Swelling Getting Worse Normal?

Had inner thigh lift + lipo. After finishing, dr noticed one of my legs became engorged, so had to open it back and clean up the excess bleeding and re-stitch me. Said would take longer to heal. Today is day 9, the swelling in problem leg is worse, he says big blood clot and will take time to resolve bc body has to reabsorb the excess blood. The leg is very stiff and swollen, swelling traveled to suture area feels like it wants to bust out. Is this normal? What's the worst thing can happen?

Swelling After Hematoma Formation

Your history suggests an extremely complicated post-operative course following medial thigh lift surgery. After developing a unilateral post-operative hematoma, you have developed significant swelling in the involved leg. This swelling could occur for a variety of reasons including recurrent hematoma formation, the development of lower extremity deep venous thrombosis or severe swelling related to infiltrated extravasated blood.

All of these problems could have significant consequences. For this reason, it's important to consult your plastic surgeon as soon as possible. Your surgeon should be able to evaluate your leg and formulate an appropriate treatment plan.

Asymmetric Swelling after Thigh Lift

Anytime there is asymmetric swelling after thigh lift you need to be examined by your plastic surgeon.  Additional hematoma or fluid collection are concerns as well as possible infection.  Blood clot in your leg is another possibility.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA