6 days post op after Rhinoplasty my external splint came off, will this have any major affect on my final result?

Hello, I had a rhinoplasty on the morning of May 16. Removed dorsal hump and adjusted nostrils. Last night the external splint made my nose itch real bad, so I stuck a toothpick in there to itch it. And I kept doing it and the splint became pretty loose so I took it off for about 5 minutes. I called my surgeon and told him and he seemed pretty mad about it. I was supposed to take the splint of Wednesday, May 28. Will this have any major impact on healing and the final result?

The length of time the splint stays on depends on your healing and surgeon preference.  See your surgeon as soon as possible in the event he needs to exam you and replace the splint.

Nasal splint off in 5 days

Some surgeons take the splint off as early as 3 days. The first 48 hours are the most critical in helping with the swelling of the nose. You don't have to worry. You can put the same splint back on and hold it with tape till you see your doctor. 
Regards
Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

It is simply too early to make a judgement about the final result. Contact your surgeon about the splint issues.

Los Angeles, CA.

Effect of dorsal splint on healing after rhinoplasty

At 6 days post-op the splint shouldn't have a big impact on your healing.  Most surgeons, myself included, will remove the splint within a week.  However, always follow your surgeon's instructions to ensure the best result as he has likely developed his routine based on his prior success.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Splint fell off

I wouldn't worry.  The splint is mainly for protection.  It really doesn't shape the nose.  I would be extra careful to avoid any direct trauma to the nose.

Howard A. Tobin, MD
Abilene Facial Plastic Surgeon