I Am 8 Days Post Arm Lipo and Have Not Had a Compression Garment, is Too Late?

I had a BBL. Will wearing an arm compression garment at this point still be beneficial? I'm still bruised pretty badly and probably a little swollen still also.

Lipo Garment Timing

the short answer is probably not. The length of time that the garment should be worn varies depending on the amount of fat removed, the elastic nature of your skin, how much loose skin remains, and other factors. Your surgeon would give you the best advice, however this is the general routine for my patients.
The first garment should be fitted for you in the office prior to surgery and applied in the operating room. Often it will become loose as the edema is mobilized, and then it will need to be replaced. Spanx is a reasonable compression garment if it gives enough support and is the right size. I have my patents bring them in so I can confirm that it fits well.
Most important advice is to listen to your surgeon, as he or she knows how much fat was removed, the elasticity that remains in your skin, and amount of skin redundancy.
I recommend that my patients wear their garments for a minimum of three weeks full time then for twelve hours at a time (day or night). If there is not a lot of redundant skin, this continues to a maximum of six weeks.
To be effective, the garment needs to fit snugly—but not too tight as that can make it difficult to sleep or cause pressure problems (inspect your skin when it is exposed if you are uncomfortable). As the edema resolves it is common for patients to switch to a smaller garment that fits. A Spanx-type garment would work fine, rather than ordering one or paying more at your doctor’s office

Ask your surgeon

You should ask your surgeon for their advice. However, at 8 days you may still benefit from wearing a compression garment.

Check back with the doctor who did the procedure.

It is difficult to recommend post operative care for a procedure that a doctor has not performed.  Please check back with the doctor who did your procedure for a recommendation.   I personally use compression garments for at least one month on all of my liposuction patients. 

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Compression Garment After Arm Lipo

A compression garment after liposuction of the arm helps to limit swelling and helps to reposition skin during the early post operative period. I recommend its use for a month. Many people wear it longer because it provides support and comfort. It may be helpful to you now and will do no harm.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Compression garment can be effective even if started 8 days postoperatively

Typically, a compression garment is placed initially which not only assists with comfort level and swelling but also helps to reduce bruising. Even at 8 days and with a considerable amount of swelling, a compression garment can have a positive effect. You should check with your surgeon, however, with regard to this as he/she operated on you.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Compression garment after Liposuction?

Since there is still residual swelling present use of a type of suction garment at this point may still be helpful. Check with your plastic surgeon for specific advice.

Compression a week after liposuction

For optimal compression and result, a compression garment should be placed at the end of the surgery. It's impossible to assess how not being compressed will affect your outcome but, since you are still swollen, use of compression at this time would be advisable to accelerate the reduction of edema and improve healing.