5 Days After Breast Augmentation, Too Big Boobs? (photo)

Hi there, 5 days ago I had a breast aumentation and I'm afraid my breast seems too big, there is any chance to call it "swelling after breast surgery"? I'm 170cm high, my size was 65A, now I've got 320cc... I want to have a real breast, not "plastic" as now... They will be smaller? How much?

Size of breasts in the first few days after surgery

Thank you for your question. Because you are only 5 days out from surgery, the shape and apparent size of your breasts will continue to change as you recover. One of the primary ways your breasts will change, is that they will settle or “drop” into place. For a few weeks to a few months after surgery, the implants tend to sit higher than the final result. The placement of the implants will affect the size they appear to be. Even though the size of the implant will stay the same, once the tissues relax and the implants drop, the breasts will have a more natural slope and look less augmented. It is also possible that you are experiencing post-op swelling, which will subside as your body continues to heal.

Nick Slenkovich, MD, FACS

Swelling Following Breast Augmentation

We frequently see patients who express concern about the size of their breast implants following breast augmentation surgery. In some cases, this occurs in the immediate postoperative period. The majority of these patients are concerned that their breasts are too big rather than too small. As swelling subsides, most of them are ultimately happy with their breast size.

Immediately after surgery it’s hard to make judgments about breast size because of swelling and muscle spasm. It may take weeks for the majority of swelling to resolve. In addition, muscle spasm can increase upper breast fullness and make the breasts look larger than they really are. This may also take weeks to resolve.

Many patients also experience transient adjustment reactions following breast augmentation. These patients have difficulty adjusting to larger breasts and often feel as if people are staring at them. With the passage of time, most of them are able to adjust to their new implants. Eventually, they may even forget that the implants are there. The adjustment process varies from patient to patient but may take months. Immediately following surgery it’s not unusual to see patients who feel that their breasts are too large. After several months they adjust to their new implants. They feel that their new breasts fit nicely on their body and they are happy with their results. Occasionally some of these patients request even larger implants.

If you have concerns about breast size following breast augmentation surgery you should communicate with your plastic surgeon. He has dealt with this situation in other patients and can address many of your concerns. With time many of these concerns may resolve without intervention. Ultimately you may still be very happy with your breast augmentation. 

Wait three to four months

When implants are first inserted, they sit high up because your tissues are tight and gravity hasn't taken effect. Over time, natural tissue expansion occurs to allow the implants to fall into place. By this time, your breasts will have taken on a more natural contour, where the lower breasts become softer and rounder. Please wait at least four months for this to happen.

Too Early to Judge Breast Size

Thank you for your question and photo.  It looks like you have a nice result (from what I can see from the photo).

5 days post op surgery is too soon to worry about the breast size.  Please allow your body time to heal and for the swelling to go down and the breast implants to settle.  You may be surprised a few months down the line with how you feel about the breast implants.

Be patient and keep your follow up appointments with your surgeon.

After breast augmentation, feel my breasts are too large?

I would tell you that it is still very early! Only 5 days after surgery, there is lots of swelling causing you to fear that your breasts are too big, allow the swelling to resolve, your breasts will change over the next few months, typically 3. Your surgeon looks to have done an excellent job!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Final Results After 3 Months

Please rest assured that you are not alone in your concern following your results immediately after a breast augmentation procedure.  In the immediate post-operative period all breast implants have somewhat of a 'distorted' appearance as they tend to sit high on the chest and feel and look hard.  Unfortunately, it takes time for the implants to settle (up to 3 months) and for patients to finally see what we as surgeons see in the operating room.  
You are still very early in the recovery process and I would caution you from judging your results thus far.  Your breasts will continue to change during the first 3-4 months of your recovery period.  And as your skin, muscle and tissues stretch to accommodate your new implants and this additional volume, your implants will settle into place.  This means that during this period of time, the appearance of your breasts will change as well, and over time they will develop a more natural appearance.
I hope this helps and best of luck on your recovery!

Breasts too big

Hi & thank you for your question.
You are still very early in your recovery. It will  take time to heal and for the swelling to subside. Try to be patient . Many patients feel they are too big immediately following surgery, but as the breasts soften and settle into position they are very happy with the result.Continue to follow your surgeons instructions and contact him or her with any concerns. Bewst of luck.

5 days post op

Thank you for the question. You are still in the post operation recovery stage. It is not uncommon to feel pain, itchiness, and swelling during this period. It usually takes about 8-12 weeks for the wounds to heal and around 4-6 months for the implants to fully settle. It would be best to visit your board-certified plastic surgeon and get a full assessment if you have concerns in the next few weeks. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Breasts Change Throughout the Recovery Process

As you mentioned, "swelling after breast surgery" is a very common occurrence. As you are only 5 days post-op, swelling is definitely to be expected. It will take a substantial amount of time for your breasts to heal and settle into their final result. It can be difficult to be patient, but hang in there! After a few months your breasts will likely settle into a smaller size with a more natural appearance and softer feel. If you continue to have concerns, contact your surgeon for a follow up appointment.

Assessing breast augmentation 1 week post op

You are early in the healing process. Allow your body to heal which may take 6 months. At that time, you and your surgeon can assess if your goals and objectives have been met.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS