Why is one breast so much larger after mastopexy augmentation? (Photos)

I noticed this evening that one of my breasts is a nice round shape and the other looks like a deflated balloon! Will they stay like this!? Or is it still swelling (even after 3 weeks?)

Your final results are months away.

At 3 weeks, it could still be swelling that is making your breasts look uneven. Your body has been through surgery and needs time to recover and adjust to the breast implants. The swelling may not fully subside for another 2 months. While you had one procedure, you had two surgery sites that may heal at different speeds. That could be why your breasts look different at this stage. Your breasts should continue to heal and settle into the pocket over the next several months. Your final results and breast shape won’t be visible until then.

Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Silicone Implants/Revision Breast Surgery

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

Post op swelling after mastopexy / augmentation

Three weeks is still early in your post op recovery period.  It takes approximately 3 months for swelling to subside.  It is very common for one to be more swollen, bruised and or shaped differently than the other breast.  Give it time and follow up with your PS as directed.

Chad Robbins, MD

Why is one breast so much larger after (3 weeks) mastopexy augmentation? = post-operative swelling #breastaugmetnationlift #

It is very common to hear concerns about the shape and symmetry during the healing process after breast augmentation and lift. 

At 3 weeks post-op, there is still a lot of swelling and healing process going on. Therefore, asymmetry are very likely secondary to swelling. 

It is only after 3 months (12 weeks) that a patient could see the result of  a breast augmentation with implants that is not affected by post-surgical swelling. 

John Mesa, MD

Why is one breast so much larger after mastopexy augmentation?

It is too early to be concerned about your asymmetry.  After 3 months the implant position and the breast tissues will normalize become rounder and closer in size.   The right breast was slightly larger preop and I believe that is why you're seeing more swelling on that side.

3 weeks post op Breast Augmentation/Mastopexy

You look great so far! I know it is incredibly hard to be patient after breast surgery but there is going to be a healing process that takes some times before you get your final final result! As your implants settle into the pocket (takes 4-6 weeks depending on implant size - larger takes longer than smaller), you will notice differences between the sides. With the mastopexy (breast lift), the bottom portion appears square at first and takes about 3 months or so to fully round out and look more like a natural breast. Unfortunately, the breasts do their own thing like they aren't even on the same body. Between the 3-6 month mark after surgery, you will feel like they are more symmetric. Hang in there!