Can I receive another person's hair on my head? (photo)

You cannot receive other people's hair follicles for your hair transplant. It be be rejected by your body's

You cannot receive other people's hair follicles for your hair transplant.  It be be rejected by your body's immune system.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

You can only receive hair from an identical twin for transplant

This is a very common question in my office. I can't tell you how many mothers wish they could donate hair to their thinning sons. Unfortunately, the body would reject the hair grafts very quickly. Even if high doses of anti-rejection medication (immunosuppression) weren't so risky, there is a high chance your body would reject donor hair from someone else. An identical twin is the only possible donor since the DNA is the same but then they should have the same hair loss pattern; so if one is bald, the other would be too.

Jennifer Krejci, MD
San Antonio Dermatologist

Hair from Identical twins!

Absolutely you can - with the important caveat that the "other person" needs to be your identical twin!If you are not lucky enough to be in this position, you would have to go on immunosuppressive drugs for the rest of your life and undergo periodic biopsies, just like organ transplant patients for other organs like hearts and kidneys.  Since these drugs can cause a host of other side effects, and since there are other less risky options for improving your hair, it is simply not worth it. 

Good luck!

Sara Wasserbauer, MD
Walnut Creek Hair Restoration Surgeon

Transplanted hair from one person to another

It is not a good idea to move hair from one person to another because hair is an organ that will reject just like a kidney or heart transplant. 

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Can I receive another person hair for my HT?

gaymel,Yes, you can if you have a willing identical twin. It has been done before by Dr Glen Charles in FL. Other than identical twins it cannot be done since the donor tissue would be rejected. It is too expensive and risky to undergo immune suppressive therapy to prevent hair transplant rejection.Good luck,
Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon