Do you think I need a breast augmentation revision? (Photo)

I am 10 weeks post operation. I received 375cc round silicone under the muscle. I don't feel like I've seen much difference in my breasts since the surgery. The implants are too high. My nipples are nearly below the actual implant. I've been wearing the compression strap for the last 3 weeks, but haven't seen a difference. Do I need to wait longer? Could they eventually settle on their own? Or do you think I need the muscles released with revision? Or something else?

Revision

Your implants seem to have been placed a bit high and the lower pole tissues may not have been dissected far enough to allow the implants to settle into the proper position.  A revision to dissect the lower pole further and reposition the implants would be indicated.  Best wishes, Dr. T.

Do you think I need a breast augmentation revision?

Sorry for the poorly done surgical dissection of the inferior pockets to allow implants to fill your breast! ONLY revision can improve.SORRY

Thank you for your inquiry.

After viewing your photos, it does appear that the implants are sitting high in the pocket at this time.  However, at 10 weeks you are still in the early phases of healing.  Your result will improve over the next several months.  That being said, there is a good possibility that you will need a revision in the future if the implants fail to move downward completely.

I would recommend not undergoing a revision for another 3-4 months.  Downward massaging of the implants my help at this time.

Discuss your concerns with your surgeon so that both of you are on the same page.

Good luck.

Revision needed

Your result is not a good cosmetic outcome. To improve this you need to seek out a doctor who can help you. I am guessing that the doctor wants to wait longer but at this point it is pretty clear you will not improve. What has your doctor told you so far? Is he or she a board certified plastic surgeon? Please update us, great pictures for us to review thank you!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Revision?

It is early in the post-op period and they may settle some more. I would hold off doing anything for at least 4-6 months.

It is possible that you may need a revision but I would wait a few more months as they may still drop over time. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Not dropping

Generally speaking, especially early in the post-operative phase of healing, it is not uncommon to have one or both implants appear to be high up by the clavicle. Although the “pocket” may be made correctly, the implant may not have access to the bottom for several reasons. If the overlying muscle or skin is tight, this will move the implant to the path of least resistance which is up and towards the underarm where there is little or no pressure. As the pressure relaxes, the implant will drop down to the bottom. Smooth implants, because their surface is slippery, may move faster downward than a textured implant with its rough surface. Because these variables mentioned above can be different for each side, it's not uncommon that one side will drop faster to the bottom of the pocket than the other. Similarly, sometimes one breast will swell more than the other or be more painful than the other early in the postoperative phase. After the first month or two, usually things will even out. It wouldn't be, in my practice, until four months or so has passed that I would entertain going back to the operating room to “touch up” the location of the breast implant in the pocket. Sometimes specialized bras or straps as well as massage and stretching protocols may be helpful in allowing this process to happen more quickly. Each plastic surgeon will have different thoughts on what the best protocol is for the patient. Your operating plastic surgeon will be your best resource to have this information passed on to you. I recommend that you faithfully follow up and follow the instructions of your chosen plastic surgeon. Congratulations on your surgery, and good luck on an uneventful recovery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS