2nd Tummy Tuck for muscle repair? (photos)

Do I need a second TT? I had my first TT in 2011. I recently had lipo. My doc shaped me well but I still have this bulge. I am about 3 months post op from lipo. Its almost seems impossible to get it flat...

Tummy Tuck Revision Options

Revision surgery is unusual but may be desired for several reasons. Most revisions should be done after 9-12 months.  One cause for revision surgery are “dog ears” at the ends of the incisions. These are small folds of excess skin that do not flatten over time.  They can be excised, suctioned or both.

Scars may widen or continue to be red and elevated.  These may require laser treatment or injection with kenalog and 5-FU.  Excision and reclosure may help some scars. Other treatments are available as well.

Excess fat or loose skin may require liposuction and skin excision to obtain the best result. While liposuction is often helpful in making the most of the tummy tuck result, sometimes they need to be done together. You may want to visit your liposuction surgeon if you are concerned about that healing process in order to have the area examined and make sure that it is healing well. Then, you would be able to have a consultation to discuss your tummy tuck revision options with a board certified plastic surgeon and see what would be best. But, definitely wait for the liposuction procedure to heal completely. Good luck.

Abdominal fat

A physical exam would answer all of your questions.  There are several possibilities.  Most commonly, it is caused by internal fat called visceral fat which cannot be treated with a tummyt tuck or liposuction...only with weight loss.  Another possibility may be that they did not adequately tighten your muscles during your abdominoplasty or the repair failed.  Of course, many patients gain weight which causes the abdominal curvature too.

Best to set an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Best of luck.

Dr. T

Douglas Taranow, DO, FACOS

Second TT

Without a full examination in the office as well as preoperative photographs, it is hard to tell whether or not the initial repair to your diastasis failed or simply recurred due to weight change.  Your visceral fat (the bulge behind the muscle) is a likely culprit to the reason why your belly isn't flat.  However without knowing the full picture, it is difficult to give a diagnosis and and a treatment plan.  I encourage you to seek consultation with someone you trust in the office in order to give you the best information.  Good luck.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon