The incision on my breast has opened up & I'm having sharp pain 11 wks post-op. Could this be an infection? (Photo)

It's been 11 weeks after my breast lift/ augmentation and I am having sharp pain on my right breast. It feels hard & looks bigger compared to my left one especially when I lie down. The incision around it started opening up about a week and a half ago and is now swollen, hot and bleeding with puss. The pain has gotten worse and nothing seems to help. I've had a long painful recovery. I do not want to reach out to my Surgeon this time if this is just part of the healing process.

Suture knot exposure and wound healing

You should contact your surgeon.  It appears that you had a circumferential doughnut type mastopexy with your augmentation.  This has produced a strain on on your wound closure as well as some thinning giving way to exposure and subsequent infection of suture knots.  These knots act as foreign bodies and must be removed or this is not going to heal.  Proper wound care is manditory to minimize scarring.  

Wound opened up around incision

I would recommend you contact your surgeon. You are popping some of the buried sutures which does occur, but each surgeon has their own treatment protocol.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Breast surgery and incision

I think that you should reach out to your surgeon. He would want to know, and he can recommend wound care instructions for you.  Best of luck.

Post-Operative Wound Breakdown

It's extremely important that you contact your plastic surgeon as soon as possible. The presence of significant pain, swelling, warmth and drainage all suggest the presence of infection. Failure to address this problem in a timely manner could have significant consequences including loss of breast implants.

Wound breakdown isn't unusual when patients undergo the combination of breast augmentation and breast lift surgery. Wound separation can occur for a variety of reasons including poor blood supply, tension on the wound closure and infection.

This type of wound is usually managed with dressing changes. Dressing changes remove debris from the wound surface and allow the wound healing process to continue. When infection is present, antibiotics are indicated as well. The vast majority of these wounds heal nicely, but rarely scar revisions are necessary.

Breast Lift with Implants

Hi KS,
I am sorry you are having trouble this late in the game.  Please go in to the office and see your PS or a partner right away to check it out,  and also to start you on local care.  All the best, "Dr. Joe"

Post op wounds

I agree with Dr Blinski. You should call on your surgeon! I could recommend all types of reasons for this and treatment but your surgeon holds the answers.  

The incision on my breast has opened up & I'm having sharp pain 11 wks post-op. Could this be an infection?

BUT you need to 'reach' out to your chosen surgeon! I do not understand why you have not been seen by your surgeon....

Call Your Surgeon

You need to follow to with your surgeon ASAP, infections with implants near are not a good thing to have. call him/her now and have your follow up tomorrow this is a situation that needs to be properly treated to prevent further complications. 

Luis Eduardo Redondo, MD