Wondering if someone may be able to help me to figure out if labiaplasty surgery is a good choice for me (Photo)

I have long labia minora that rubs against my under garments and constantly just feels as though it is burning due to the rubbing. Besides the physical discomfort, it is aesthetically unpleasant, and the skin of my labia minora looks very old and dark, and wrinkled. Also, sexually, I feel it hinders my husband from being able to access my clitoris without my help. I'm wondering if a labiaplasty is the surgery I should be considering to remedy these issues. Thank you!

You are an ideal labiaplasty candidate

You actually sound like an ideal candidate for labia Minoraplasty with clitoral hood reduction. Patients who undergo this surgery have your same complaints- they report that it interferes with clothing and activity choices, may cause hygiene issues and is not aesthetically pleasing. In addition, many patients report increased sensitivity following clitoral hood reduction. It is important that you consult with a surgeon who specializes in this field, as a general gynecologist are not trained to perform this very delicate surgery. Cheers!

Form and Function

Sounds like you have all the right reasons to seek a labiaplasty surgery. The hard part is finding a doctor who actually  knows how to do it, and not just MARKET that they know how to do it. The world is filling up with labiaplasty "experts" but very few doctors understand the proper techniques. Trim method labiaplasties are everywhere, and I think they are horrible in most surgeons hands. But it's "easy" to do... snip snip... and baseball stitch it together. Instead of looking at doctor's websites, spend a little time looking at the Q&A for labiaplasty and you can see what I mean. It's depressing to see doctors who don't know what they're doing hurting patients who don't know better.
Find a doctor that has the right reviews, photos, videos, and experience. Be very selective and do this once, easily, and move on.

Labiaplasty

Thank you for your question and photo. It appears that you could be an excellent candidate for Labiaplasty. Many women seek this procedure to help with the same issues you have described. I recommend that you seek a board certified Plastic Surgeon for consultation. They will examine you, discuss your aesthetic goals and recommend a plan.

All the best

Am I a good candidate for a labiaplasty??

Yes, you would be an excellent candidate for labiaplasty, either by curvilinear (linear/trim) of modified V-wedge procedure. A well performed labiaplasty will eliminate the rubbing, and be aesthetically and sexually pleasing. The only caveat is: find a well-experienced, kind plastic or cosmetic gyn surgeon who SPECIALIZES in this surgery. You have several in Texas. The weblink below, and several other areas (blogs, posts) on my educational site will help you get started!

Respectfully, 

Michael P Goodman MD

Albany NY labiaplasty expert believes you are an ideal candidate for a wedge type labiaplasty

For treating your pain symptoms and for providing you with more symmetry, consider a double wedge type labiaplasty to reduce clitoral hood excess skin and your prominent labia minora.  Find a board certified plastic surgeon member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) who specializes in labiaplasty using the wedge resection technique. Ask lots of questions, see their own patients' before and after photos for confirmation that you will get  what you are looking for..... If your labiaplasty is properly done by a skilled plastic surgeon, you will have nearly invisible scars, a relief of your pain/physical discomfort and will no longer be "bothered" by this problem area.  Hope this helps and Best of luck!

Steven Yarinsky, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

A great candidate for labiaplasty

Your photo demonstrates labia minora excess. I would suggest our Hidef Labiaplasty which includes labiaplasty, clitoral hood reduction, skin tightening with laser, and laser vaginoplasty if indicated. I have written a journal article on my approach.

Dr. Karamanoukian
#Realself100 Surgeon 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Labiaplasty

You are definitely a candidate for labiaplasty. I would recommend that you do the technique that I developed called the True Labiaplasty or modified posterior wedge technique. This technique emphasizes the enhancement of the beauty of your vagina and its functionality and not just cutting or trimming your labia. The result maintains a smaller, thinner, more natural looking labia. Moreover it can help expose the clitoris for improved sexual experience, as noted by most of my patients. You can learn more details on the link below. It is a good option for those in the Dallas Fort Worth area for I am located right in between by DFW airport. Good Luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

The "Labiaplasty" Choice

Hello Jemma,

The rubbing problem is a commonly reported issue that a well-performed operation generally improves or eliminates. The access problem as you mention can be improved by work on the clitoral hood, so the prospects for the operation appear pretty good for you. 

An in-person evaluation with a qualified surgeon will tell you more. 

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty

I reviewed your photo. Your labia minora are enlarged but not massively enlarged. Of most importance, they cause you discomfort. In that case, a labiaplasty is a good idea, but it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks. It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed. If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced it at the same time. No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, MD

Is Labiaplasty a Good Solution?

The symptoms you describe are common among my labiaplasty patients. The best thing to do would be to find a board-certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist with good before-and-after photos and go in for a consultation.

For more information, click on the link below.

All the best.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon