Is my underarm redness normal post breast aug? (Photo)

I had a breast aug 9 days ago. My post op appointment was 6 days after surgery and my plastic surgeon told me to stop cleaning with water and peroxide and stop bactrim ointment. The scars are red on both sides and irritated. Should I apply something to help the redness go down or just leave it be and talk to my doctor Thursday (5 days from today) at my next appointment?

Doctor Answers 4

Is my underarm redness normal post breast aug?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I agree that your scars look quite red and irritated.  This may be due to moisture of the ointments and peroxide and allowing the area to stay dry may improve this.  9 days is very early and is likely that her scars will improve significantly.  However if after 2-3 weeks the scars are irritated, raised, and read discussed the possibility of IPL and 1549 ablative fractional erbium laser treatments which can be started at 3-4 weeks . For more information please read below:

Scar management?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for sharing the photos. It looks to be the early signs of hypertrophic scarring. I suggest you speak with your plastic surgeon on how best to manage your scar. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 215 reviews

Scar redness

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for your inquiry and picture.  I suggest you call your doctor to discuss any wound/scar management questions.  I know you have an appointment in a few days, but if you are concerned please call to discuss sooner and best of luck.  

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Best of luck!

Dr. Schwartz

Board Certified Plastic Surgeon



These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.