What type of breast lift would I benefit the most from? (photos)

I had a baby a couple months ago and there is all this loose skin in my breasts. It was like the inflated then deflated lol now they're almost kinda wrinkly. They're not terribly saggy but not as perky as they used to be. Not looking to get implants. I'm hoping periareolar lift to limit the scarring because I always end up with really dark scars. Also what grade of ptosis would you say I have? And I plan to have more kids. Will the lift be reversed?

Types of Breast Lifts

Figuring out what type of breast lift to undergo is, in some ways, kind of like remodeling your kitchen.  In a kitchen there are some basic things that need to be upgraded...the flooring, the countertops, the cabinets.  But, there may be other things that may add value over the long term but cost a bit more and sometimes it's difficult to see the benefit...maybe crown molding, new lighting fixtures, backsplashes; you get the idea.

There are three basic types of breast lifts.  Each one has advantages and disadvantages.  The periareolar ('donut') lift leaves a scar just around the areola.  That sounds great and actually is great in some circumstances.  However, when breasts are really bottom-heavy, fairly large, and the nipples are pretty low, these type lifts may fall short of delivering the best outcomes.  Sometimes the scars, while limited to just around the areolas, end up being very wide and very noticeable because the incisions were closed under tremendous tension.  In my practice I use this type of lift infrequently, and probably almost never for someone with breasts like those you've shown in the photos.

The vertical ('lollipop') lift adds a scar that goes straight down the center of the breast below the areola, in addition to the scar around the areola.  This is a great type of lift for many situations, but the drawback of course is now there's a bit more of a scar.  This type lift may provide a really nice shape and look and I use it quite a bit.  For someone with breasts like the photos you've shown this might be a good way to go.

The inverted-T ('anchor') lift adds a scar along the bottom of the breast.  This is a great lift for many situations too, particularly when there is a lot of bottom heaviness and/or when the nipples are really low.  Women who have lost a lot of weight often benefit most from these types of lifts.  I like and use this type of lift a lot.  It allows me to also remove a fair amount of tissue from the lower part of the breast, minimizing how much tissue might remain to hang down below the crease after surgery.  This type of lift, too, might be a good way to go for someone with breasts like those you show in your photos. 

There's really not just one type of lift that works best for every situation.  Two women who have the same size and shape of breasts might have very different ideas of what they hope to achieve and very different ideas of what types of scars they are willing to accept in order to achieve their hoped-for outcomes.  It's great, even advisable, to research all of this on the internet before you go visit with a few surgeons.  Ultimately, though, you should visit with a surgeon who has a great reputation and substantial experience in cosmetic breast surgery, someone your friends and even doctors tell you about, to learn about how each of these options may or may not apply to you.  It's kind of like figuring out which contractor you choose to re-do your kitchen.  You don't want someone who has only done a couple remodels, and cheaper isn't always better.

Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

What type of breast lift would I benefit the most from?

Periareola lifts IMO are not a good idea, they result in stretching of the areola over time and do minimal to lift the breast, would agree with the recommendation of a vertical mastopexy, good luck!!

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Which Type of Breast Lift

Thanks for your question and photos. The periareolar lift is a useful technique when the breast tissue has minimal sagging and the main goal is to raise the position of the areolae. However, you have significant sagging of the breast tissue.  I think that you would get a very nice result with a vertical breast lift (lollipop lift).  The scars go around the areolae and then down from the 6 o'clock position on the areolae to the bottom of the breasts. You have enough breast tissue that you don't need an implant.  It is certainly possible that if you have the lift now, and then have more children, it will compromise the results of the lift necessitating a revision of the breast lift after you are done having children.  So, you may want to wait until you are finished having children to have the lift. The breast lift could also affect your ability to breast feed. Best of luck. 

Laurence Weider, MD

What type of breast lift?

Thank you for your question and photos. Looking at your photos, your nipples appear to be at or slightly below the inframammary fold  with much of the breast tissue below the fold. This is referred to as pseudoptosis, I agree that you appear to have sufficient volume and an implant would not be necessary. The periareolar or circumareolar lift is a useful technique when moving the nipple upward a few centimeters, however, with the laxity of skin that you show, I feel a "lollipop" lift would be best suited to take in the loose skin. This entails an incision around the areola and then straight down from the areola to the inframammary fold. This will allow for better shaping of the breast. Now, having said all that, if you plan on having more children, I would recommend putting off this type of surgery until after you have completed your family. Pregnancy produces unpredictable changes on the body in general and breasts in particular. The results of surgery would be longer lasting if not subjected to the "hormonal storm" of pregnancy.

Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area and discuss all your options.

Best Wishes,

Breast Lift Options

Thank you for the questions and photos. Based on the photos I think you would get a better result with a vertical lift that results in the lollipop scar. The stretched out areolas can be reduced in size and more loose skin can be removed. These impressions would need to be confirmed by a thorough exam. If you have more children after the breast lift you could need another lift. Please see an experienced board certified plastic surgeon to come up with the best plan. 

David S. Motoki, MD
Draper Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift

Not to contradict your opinion, but your breasts are large and have substantial ptosis (sag). A periareolar lift would be a disaster: mound flattening, persistent ptosis, wide and/or irregularly shaped areola, wide scars, and substantial pleating. You should visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in all forms of cosmetic breast surgery. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question.  AN examination would be needed to fully answer your question.  It appears that you have stage 1 ptosis.  A vertical lift would give you an improved shape and lift.  The lift may affect the ability to breast feed.  You may want to wait until your finished having children.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Have a lift after you complete your family

No point in having a breast lift if you know that you are going to have more kids. Periareolar lifting will not be effective choice in your case. You will need a traditional lift with anchor incisions at that time.    

Vasdev Rai, MD

Breast lift

Hello and thank you for your question.  The best advice you can receive is from an in-person consultation.  With that being said, based on your photographs, the best shape and contour could be achieved with a wise pattern breast lift.  I do not ever recommend a Bennelli lift.  Over time, the areola tends to enlarge with a thickened scar.  The other even worse problem is that it flattens out the shape of the anterior breast over time.  A wise pattern lift can result in a very nice shape if good technique is used.    Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Thank you for your question and photo.  Congratulations on your baby.  I would wait at least 6-12 months after you are finished breast-feeding before even thinking about breast surgery.  As others have stated I do not think the periareolar lift is a good idea  as it provides minimal elevation and lift of the breast skin.  Most likely you will need a breast lift with a vertical component.  For more information please read the link below: