Is teeth whitening harmful?

Hi, why would happen if I have my teeth whitened at the dentist and if I use bleaching trays at home ? Will my teeth be damaged ? what will happen if I get my teeth whitened every 6 months at the dentist and use bleaching tray at home? Thanks

Teeth Whitening

Teeth whitening does not harm your teeth.  You may have some sensitivity for a couple of days, but that is it.  The whitening works well and you should be happy with the results.  

Teeth Whitening is Safe

Teeth whitening with professional peroxide is a safe and effective way to enhance your smile.  The effects of dentist administered whitening every 6 months followed by at home whitening over the course of many years has not been scientifically studied.  The studies I have looked at show no significant change to the enamel 1 month after professional whitening.  I have patients that are frequent users of teeth whitening gel that have seen no problems with tooth strength, so it is probably ok to whiten frequently.  To increase enamel strength, I always have my patients alternate use of bleaching gel with a mineral paste to strengthen and rebuild enamel.

Mark Edington, DDS
Las Vegas Dentist