If a small amount of fat is removed from inner thighs, will fat distribution change dramatically with 5-10 lb. gain? (Photo)

My inner thighs touch ( wanting a gap). I am nervous that the small amount of inner thigh fat will cause a belly to form in me ( when I am I currently proportionate. If 5-10 lbs. are gained for whatever reason, what will happen?? I want my thighs SLIGHTLY thinner so they don't touch. What can I expect? The last thing I want is to make my hourglass figure to become an apple shape figure. I am proportionate already, I am simply desiring the legs to have a small half inch gap. Will this ruin me?

Overall change in fat distribution

Liposuction permanently change is someone's fat distribution.

When a small amount of fat is removed the response to overall body fat distribution is negligible.

When high-volume liposuction is done in many areas then patient may experience a substantial change in where they gain weight.

From what you describe I do not think that you're fat distribution will be changed much at all.

The total volume removed from inner thighs is usually quite small.

Inner thighs are technically difficult and should not be treated aggressively because of the risk of skin problems, indentations and uneven contours.

Inner thigh liposuction should only be done by those with a substantial amount of experience and expertise with body contouring.

It's also critical that plastic surgeons set realistic expectations of what type of results can be expected from inner thigh liposuction.

The limitations of results are secondary to the limitation of how much fat can be removed with that undesirable sequelae and the fact that the inner thigh often has a skin laxity component to start with that is not treated with liposuction.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Will Fat Distribution Change After Lipo

Thanks for your question! No, it's an urban myth that if you get lipo in one area, that you will automatically gain weight in another area. That being said, yes if u gain a significant amount of weight, fat will distribute to all areas. I think u r a great candidate for lower extremity SAL; best of luck to u! 

Robert P. Schmid, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

Getting a Thigh Gap with VASER HI DEF and ThermiRF

If you gain weight after your procedure, it can return to all areas. VASER HI DEF, ThermiRF and fat grafting would be great to the inner thigh to give you more definition and contour to the leg, giving you the gap you want and more of the shape you desire. I suggest seeing an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer. 

Effect if weight gain on liposuction

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

If you gain weight after liposuction, fat can return to the area of liposuction as well as to other body areas.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS