Did I go too small? I am 5'4" and weigh 145 lbs (Photo)

On march 1 of this year I had a breast augmentation with 425 cc memory gel implant smooth round moderate profile plus. I feel like the implant is too small and with clothes on barely even noticable. I wanted to achieve a d look. I know alot changes and i should wait at least 3 months for them to settle but I think that will only make them look better not grow any. I'm very concerned because I think I went to small for the size of my back. Looks like i had nothing at all done with clothes on!

Too Small?

Thank you very much for your question.

I know it's difficult to wait that full 3 months, but that's what's needed.  And at that point, the only person who can answer that question is you.  You're basically the only opinion that matters when it comes to sizing.  Hang in there!

Chicago General Surgeon

Drop & Fluff

Thank you for your question. When your implants are under pressure from tight skin and muscle, they can seem small or flattened at first. it will take between 2-6 months for your breasts to drop and fluff.

I recommend that you try to wait until closer to 6 months before evaluating.

All the best

Did I go too small?

Thank you for your question.  It's still too early to make a judgement on your final result.  Over the next few months, the implants will settle down in their position, giving a more natural and improved look.  If you're not happy with your implants after 6 months, you can discuss your concerns with your surgeon and consider revision.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question and photographs, it appears that you will have a very nice result. After placement of implants, the overall appearance of the breasts will change dramatically as the implants drop, and the overlying tissue stretches to accommodate the extra volume. At 3 weeks your implants are still sitting a bit high on your chest due to skin and muscle swelling, but this should resolve over the next 4-6 weeks. Though your overall size won't change, the implant will redistribute its volume to make the lower portion of the breast larger and appear more natural. I know waiting is difficult, but judge your results at 4-6 months after surgery as most of your breast changes should have occurred by then. Hope this helps.

Did I go too small? I am 5'4" and weigh 145 lbs

Your breast implants will look much larger and your breasts fuller after the implants have dropped into the pocket below the areola and nipple.  It is far too early to be concerned.  Her implants need to drop significantly further.  Vascular plastic surgeon if breast implant displacement exercises and possibly a superior pole wrap could help.

Be patient and your breasts will look better

Hello and thank you for your question AE3213! My advice to you is to hang in there, as your breasts will look even better, but you need to be patient as your implants settle. This is because right now it is VERY early and they are squished by the activation of your pectoralis major muscle and tissue swelling due to the inflammatory response after surgery. Once they are in their final position and lower pole of your breasts are not as tight, your breasts will appear even larger and rounder but less swollen up top; usually this process occurs as the pectoralis major muscle relaxes and the implants are no longer squeezed upward and settle into their ideal position. This process usually takes 1-3 months, but can take up to 6 months. Also, make sure to relay your concerns to your plastic surgeon as most value the patient-doctor relationship and want to be first in line to help their patients. I think you will be super happy once your implants have fallen into position. Please be patient and hopefully this helps alleviate some of your concerns. If you are still unhappy at the 6 month mark, you can consider revision breast surgery with a board certified plastic surgeon, but most likely you will be happy with your implants.

Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD

Dissatisfaction with size.

As you mention, three months is still too early to say. However, you may indeed be right that ultimately you may want larger implants. Many variables go into the decision about which size implant to place. As well, sometimes a patient's anatomy can restrict the size of an implant which can be safely placed in one sitting. If someone has a small A cup breast, with very firm tissue, it may not be entirely safe to force a large implant in under excessive pressure. There are also consequences the larger one goes, such as the effects of the additional weight and pressure on the patient's breasts, neck, and back, etc. My best advice to you is to try to be patient. Hold off on judging the final outcome until at least three months have passed, ideally six months. Keep in close contact with your plastic surgeon and formulate a game plan if indeed you want to go larger.
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Dropping and Fluffing…

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure.
You should be aware that a significant percentage of patients at your stage of recovery will feel that they are too big or (more commonly) too small.

I routinely ask my patients to wait at least 3-6 months before evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery. This waiting time allows patients to (usually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image.

There are both physiological and “psychological” reasons to wait on having revisionary surgery. From the physiological standpoint, it takes many months ( and even up to one year) to see the final results of surgery. factors such as swelling, tissue contraction, skin redraping, implant shifting etc. come into play.

From the psychological standpoint, patients undergo an “adaptation period" during which time they get used to the changes that the surgical procedure has brought about. Severe emotional swings can also occur after any type of surgical procedure.

In my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. Although online consultants cannot predict whether or not you will be pleased with the long-term outlook, of the procedure performed, it is safe to predict that the breasts will change.
In your case, I would suggest continued patience. Continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.