Will my skin tighten naturally or will I need plastic surgery (post op gastric sleeve)? (photos)

Had gastric sleeve surgery 10 mths ago. I am wondering if I will need plastic surgery or if my skin will "snap back." I was obese for about 3 years. Stats: - 26 YO - 5' 3" - HW 246lb - CW 146lb - Weight Lifting 4x wk I know time will tell & a physical exam is better to give an opinion on this, but I would like to know if it looks like I will have sagging skin like seen on other patients or does it seem like my skin will snap back? If so lipo or TT? If not, any recommendations?

Will my skin tighten or will I need surgical tightening after a gastric sleeve procedure?

Congratulations on your weight loss. You should be proud of this accomplishment. It appears that you would likely be best served with a tummy tuck in order to tighten the abdominal wall muscular layer and achieve skin tightening also. You may or may not want to also consider some contouring of other areas such as the hip, flank and back areas with liposuction. I suggest you maintain your weight loss goal for 9 to 12 months prior to undergoing these types of contouring procedures. Best of luck!

Will my skin tighten naturally or will I need plastic surgery (post op gastric sleeve)?

Thank you for your question and photographs and congratulations on your weight loss! I think you would most benefit from a full tummy tuck and liposuction of your waist, hips and flanks once your weight loss has stabilized. The tummy tuck will tighten your stomach muscles, helping to achieve a flatter appearance, while removing excess skin and adipose tissue that is unlikely to naturally tighten. Liposuction can be used to enhance your tummy tuck results by narrowing your waist and removing isolated areas of diet and exercise resistant fat, typically of the waist/love handle region. Hope that this helps.

Gastric sleeve and tummy tuck

You will definitely need a full tummy tuck with fat removal of the upper abdomen, tightening of your abdominal fascia, and correction of muscular diastasis rectus. The skin will never shrink back on its own, it has to be surgically removed.

Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your question and for posting photos. Congrats on your weight loss! You seem to be a good candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction. This combination of procedures will remove the loose skin that unfortunately probably won't go away with just diet and exercise. Liposuction helps create contour and will give you the shape you desire. You will of course need to have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for precise recommendations. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

After weight loss

Congratulations on losing the weight!  You have done a great job, and your skin looks better than most.  But, most likely, your skin will not tighten all the way... so to get rid of the excess you will probably need a tummy tuck.  This would make your abdomen look tight again!

Jonathan Heistein, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

You will need surgery

Your skin will not snap back. Loose your desired weight and then consult with a plastic surgeon. You will need surgery.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Will my skin tighten naturally or will I need plastic surgery

It will not shrink on its own. You would likely benefit from a skin reducing surgery like a tummy tuck for the best overall results of the contour of your stomach. I would combine liposuction with your tummy tuck as well.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Will Skin Tighten Naturally?

In order to correct your excess skin problem, you will probably need a #TummyTuck surgery.  This is becoming a highly requested procedure among patients who wish to rid themselves of excess skin and tighten muscle in their abdominal area. This procedure can be beneficial for patients who have undergone significant #WeightLoss.

Contact a #BoardCertified #PlasticSurgeon for an in-person consultation.

Thank you for your question. Based on the picture you are more than likely need plastic surgery to address loose skin. I will suggest to wait till your weight loss stabilized before plastic surgery and consult with a board certified PS for evaluation.

Exercise, a healthy lifestyle, and sensible diet all play a role in maintaining health. You could exercise all day long, 7 days a week and not achieve what you want. The skin and muscle are stretched and no amount of exercise will regain your figure. Modified and mini tummy tucks can produce a significant improvement in the appropriate candidate. With the extent of the tissue looseness that is apparent in your photos, a full tummy tuck and liposuction of selective areas will achieve a better cosmetic result.

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on very limited 2 dimensional photos, without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon