Is it safe for a BBW to have a drainless tummy tuck?

Hello im a bbw and im very healthly i dont smoke are drink ..im very well proportion i have no health problems i have give birth to several children im wanting to have a tummy tuck asap .im also wanting a breast reduction im a 42 g now wanting to be a dd.im wanting to get this done asap. I dont mind taking blood thinners im looking for the best doctor in dallas fortworth area..

Consult With a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to Determine if You Are a Candidate

It is possible to have a tummy tuck or #abdominoplasty without #drains. The #drainage tubes are used by trained Plastic Surgeons for many different operations.  The purpose is to drain extra fluid that other wise might otherwise accumulate under the skin, fat or muscle following an operation.  Patients generally find this annoying and uncomfortable and they can impede mobility and therefore slow aspects of #healing. Over the years, surgeons have improved procedures and found ways to eliminate the need for these #drains in a variety of operations; including #tummy #tuck or #abdominoplasty.

I have found that most of my patients do very well with the exception of those have large areas of liposuction or lipo-abdominoplasty.  I may use drains on a case by case basis for these patients.

A newer option now can include the use of tissue #glue to adhere the a#bdominal #skin to the #muscle; eliminating any space that previously required a drain.

If you go to a plastic #surgeon who uses drains, or if your situation requires drains, they usually stay in 3-5 days but may be required to remain in longer. The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal #candidate. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you during a one-on-one in-person consultation.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Drainless tummy tuck

Thanks for your question. In my practice I choose which patients to offer drainless tummy tucks based on how big they are in the midsection and how much abdominal skin and fat I will need to remove. If they are fit and active and a good candidate for a tummy tuck I generally offer drainless tummy tucks. It saves patients the pain and scar of drains and in the right patient will not affect the outcome. Regardless of if I perform a tummy tuck with or without drains I place a lot of sutures to remove the space between the abdominal flap and the underlying fascia (progressive tension sutures). I would recommend consulting with a plastic surgeon in your area to see if you are a good candidate. 

Regards,

Surjit S. Rai, MD (DrRai.net) 

Drainless tummy tuck

Regards,

Surjit S. Rai, MD (DrRai.net) 

Drainless tummy tuck isn't Brainless

Tummy tuck without the use of drains is a novel concept which involves modifications to the classic tummy tuck procedure. It is not simply the same operation just without the use of drains. One of the modifications involves placing quilting sutures. While this is a widely used technique it too has some shortcomings. First, it can lengthen the duration of the surgery. Second it may result in some abdominal contour irregularities which if present you hope will resolve with massage and lastly it may be operator dependent. 

Our technique involves keeping Scarpa's fascia at the abdominal wall and thus the lymphatic system is preserved and drains into the groin lymph nodes. Thus this technique requires a level of sophistication and technique experience to perform. It was pioneered by the Brazilian plastic surgeons and has been reported many times in the literature. 

Look for a plastic surgeon with this experience if you are interested in drainless tummy tuck

Drainless tummy tuck isn't Brainless