Am I going to need a revision? (photos)

I am almost 3 weeks post op. I understand I am still early in the healing process but this seems too big of a difference. Is it possible that the Left can become as small as right? We had originally talked about 25cc difference. During surgery he chose 475cc left 400cc right. I just want my breast to be the same size. In pre op pics does it appear I needed 75cc of a size difference? He has advised massaging the breast down but it is larger in width as well. Will I likely need a revision?

Breast Asymmetry

It is difficult to make assessments with photos alone; they can be very deceiving. Your photos seem to indicate a substantial asymmetry post operatively, and your preoperative photos don't seem to indicate an asymmetry of 75 cc. Your preoperative asymmetry appeared to be more about skin differences then volume. Discuss with your surgeon and/or get a few second opinions from ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons expert in revision breast surgery. Best of luck!

Far too early to determine need for revision

Thank you for submitting your question and your pre-and post operative photographs. Asymmetry is  almost always present, both before and after surgery. Different sized implants can magnify  this appearance of asymmetry, at least for a while. You will not be able to make a fair assessment of your result for several months.

I know that it is difficult, but my best advice is to be patient and try to enjoy "the new you".   Things are going to change over the next several months. Best wishes.

Breast augmentation

You definitely had some asymmetry preop and it is possible that your surgeon overshot the difference, but it is way too early to say.  Give the results at least 3-4 mo.  If you are right hand dominant it is possible that the right side is just a lot tighter and need more time.  Good luck, Jane. 

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Am I going to need a revision?

Although I understand your concerns, it really is too early to evaluate the outcome of the procedure performed and to determine whether or not you will benefit from revision surgery. 

Although easier said than done, I would suggest ongoing patience and continued close follow-up with your plastic surgeon.  You may be pleasantly surprised how much your breasts will change (hopefully with significant improvement in breast symmetry) over the course of the next several months. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Am I going to need a revision?

You are going to see the difference just after the procedure. However it is necessary to wait for some time in order to see the final result. After the breast augmentation operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will be advised to wear a corset in order to reduce the edema. You can start to do your daily activities just after the operations but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Going To Need A Revision?

Thanks for your question! Looking at ur photos, it does appear that ur right breast was larger than ur right, so I certainly don't blame ur surgeon for going with more volume on the left; in my practice of doing thousands of breast augmentation surgeries, I probably would've done the same thing. In our OR at our center, we ALWAYS sit our patients up during surgery & use sizers to judge size & symmetry: I have a whole "judging committee" of 2 nurses, 2 techs, my anesthesiologist, & myself to make sure things look right intra-op!

Looking at ur post-op pics, it does appear that ur left breast is noticeably larger than ur right; however, it is in the early post-op period, & I'll bet u that gets better. It's probably just some asymmetric post-op swelling.  Ask ur surgeon about doing implant massage: I've included our implant massage video that all of our implant patients do at 3 weeks post-op (which is time wise where u r at); this has served my patients very well. 

Again, I think this & time will work well for u. Best of luck! 

Robert P. Schmid, MD
Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

Am I going to need a breast implant revision?

Thank you for your question.  It is too early to be concerned about whether you may need a revision.  At 3 weeks or still swollen from surgery and over the next 3 months your breasts will change in the left side will adapt to the larger implant..  So early after surgery it is common to have asymmetries exaggerated.  Weight 3-4 months before making a decision.  Of course follow up closely with your plastic surgeon and express your concerns.

Early

You are early in your recovery and you must trust the judgement and experience of your surgeon.  I would just communicate your concerns.  Physical exam may also reveal other issues best addressed with your surgeon.

Best Wishes,

Nana Mizuguchi, mD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS