Am I required by law to have certain vaccinations in order to get breast implants? Friend said theyll ask at preop if I had it..

I dont have hepatitis vaccine and its crazy expensive here without health insurance. I already gave my deposit. I am freaking out since the Dr never mentioned any of this. Im worried theyll ask at preop and cancel my surgery, then keep my deposit. I am 25. I wish my mom made sure I was vaccinated growing up.

No Law or Requirement

Dear BadIdeasXoX, There is no requirement or scientific reason to have had vaccinations to have breast augmentation surgery. I hope this has been helpful. Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Am I required by law to have certain vaccinations in order to get breast implants? Friend said theyll ask at preop if I had it

There are no vaccinations required before breast augmentation surgery. Hepatitis is not a required vaccine in childhood, and the average adult has been vaccinated against it unless they are working in a field where it would possibly be required. Do not worry. 

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

No vaccinations needed

I've never heard of a plastic surgeon requiring any vaccinations prior to a breast augmentation. For a 25 year old healthy person like yourself, there is no need for lab tests of any kind, except possibly a urine pregnancy test on the date of surgery.

Andres Taleisnik, MD

Vaccination and BA

Thank you for your question. I have never heard this and I don't think it is relevant. Please talk to your PS.

Ven Erella, MD

Breast Implants

There is no requirement of having any vaccine for breast implant surgery. You appear to have been given inaccurate information about the pre surgical requirements.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

The Vaccination Implant Myth

There is no aspect of plastic surgery more often mythologized than that of the infamous breast implant. I am familiar with and have repeatedly dispelled many of the more commonly cited fables (autoimmune disease etc.). However, the association between vaccinations and breast implantation is one which I have never heard of before.That being said, even a cursory review of the available literature will not yield any substantive association. Breast implants are safe irrespective of the vaccination status of the recipient.My only thought, is that perhaps this requirement is unique to the surgical facility where the procedure will be performed. Regardless, if such a policy were to exist, it would not be based in sound evidence based medicine.As always, discuss your concerns with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Donovan Rosas, MD
Kissimmee Plastic Surgeon

Vaccination?

That's a new one. I have never heard of requiring vaccines for a surgery. Perhaps if you worked in the hospital or surgery center it may be required. But certainly not in order to have a procedure. Rest easy, you will not be asked to provided a vaccine record on the day of your surgery.Good Luck!Dr.Morrissey

J. Michael Morrissey, MD

Vaccinations are not necessary prior to surgery

Thanks for your question. Rest easy. You shouldn't need any specific vaccinations to have your surgery. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Hepatitis vaccine

Thanks for your inquiry, a surgical facility might require vaccinations?,  but not something I have heard of.  Please clarify with your surgeon's office.  Good Luck.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Vaccination requirements

I think your friend might be pulling your leg. I have never heard of a PS asking for vaccination records or history. There is no medical reason to do so. Best of luck with your surgery! 

Bradley A. Hubbard, MD