Recommendations to help heal Tummy Tuck scar

What should I be using on my TT scar to help it best heal/fade? I know I've used Vitamin E on my daughter when she fell and cut open her forehead, but wondering if that's the recommended thing. Or do I just use neosporin?

Tummy Tuck Scar Treatments

I like to use suture strips on the scars for the first 2-3 weeks, followed by Biocorneum scar cream.  That is a silicone-based scar cream applied twice daily that we have seen nice results with.

Take care.

Dear Ladylonghorn,

There have been many good answers listed below. Silicone gel sheeting remains one of our favored products particularly if there is thickening of the scar. Otherwise, for lightening and fading the scar, I very much like a product that was introduced by Skin Medica almost two years ago that is called Scar Recovery Gel. I have found that the science and my own clinical experience with it far exceeds products such as Mederma, which I have think have been fairly useless.

There is also a system called Embrace which tries to unload tension on the incision. It is a bit difficult, however, to keep in place in this location.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, M.D.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Scar Care

Many excellent recommendations have been given.

Scars take ~12 months to fully mature. I prefer scar massage (15 min/day). It's important to push firmly. Pushing hard enough to blanch your nail is a good test. You can use any lotion to decrease the friction as you massage. 

I would second the use of non-medicated tape. 1" wide paper tape is excellent and should be worn at all times except for showering. Silicone sheets are good too, but require a bit more effort to use than paper tape.

Scar treatments

There are many option available to improve the appearance of scars. 
It usually takes around 6-12 months for a scar to be fully matured. 
During this period massaging it with coconut oil or cocoa butter helps. 
If the incision line starts to become elevated silicone sheets help greatly, if not, consult your surgeon, as Kenalogg injections might be needed to avoid a hypertrophic scar. 
Lasers can also be helpful when a scar has fully matured and needs some fading. 

Carlos Castaneda, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Scar Treatment After Tummy Tuck

There are several different products that can be used for scar treatment. My recommendation would be any type of silicone gel sheeting. You can research online and there are many companies that sell them. A product that we use in our office is Embrace which is very good as well. 

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Scar treatment

There are many different options for scar treatment. Vitamin E and Cocoa Butter are old time favorites. Mederma and Scar Guard are amoung the most common over the counter treaatments. Then there are a variety of medicated and non-medicated tapes that are probably the easiest and most effective to use. The non-nmedicated tapes will be the least expensive.

Scar remedies

I cannot tell from the narrative if there is a healing problem or abnormal scarring. 

Most incisions heal nicely without requiring any help, and there is little or no evidence that products help the overwhelming percentage of patients.  They probably do help when scarring is abnormal.  The wide variety of products is evidence that no one has been able to demonstrate the superiority of one product over another. Were that the case, we would all recommend the same remedy.

The majority of surgeons suggest a silicone based product--strips or ointment--to patients who might benefit.

It is best to discuss options with your surgeon.  All the best.