What's the best procedure to remove fat from my u/l tummy, flanks, bra roll, inner thighs and my arms? (Photo)

Hello, I'm a 34 year old living in Texas. I've had issues with my weight fluctuating since I was a kid. 120-128. 140-145. It's never bothered me until now. The last 3 years it's been spiraling out of control. I'm a whooping 200 lbs at 5ft 6 in. I've tried everything from fad diets to Adipex, Contrave, Saxenda.... Do I need to go on??? I noticed a serious increase in weight after I stopped taking Depo Provera. Now that I'm in my 30s and the lbs won't budge.

The best procedure to remove fat from the body

The 'best procedure' to remove fat from these areas includes liposuction. The 'best procedure' is really a process, beginning with sustained weight loss--(in your weight over time and in your physche and knowledge base of how to guard against weight increase once you see it begin to happen) Once you are in a weight loss mode, small cannula liposuction using tumescent technique will work for you. I tell my patients that successful liposuction outcome is a 50:50 deal--Good Surgeon: Patient capable of maintaining a desirable weight for their height. If you are not able to maintain your weight at the desirable point, then when your body is "robbed" via liposuction, of fat storage cells and the brain will "turn on" other areas to store the fat.  "Other areas" can include breasts/buttocks/ankles/knees/face--whatever is the next most likely genetically inclined area for fat deposition.

I hope this answer held you,
D. Steve Byrd 

Is plastic surgery the answer?

Thank you for sharing your story and for your question. I tell my patients, the better they look BEFORE surgery, the better they will look after surgery! What this means, is that one should be at a good weight, that's stable, before having lipo and tummy tuck. I would recommend that you see a board certified WEIGHT LOSS specialist first! The reason I say this is because it seems as though you have tried many things to lose weight that have not been working. You may need to be worked up to see if there is anything that is making it hard for you to lose the weight (for example hypothyroidism). From your photos it appears that you would need not only liposuction, but also a procedure to remove extra skin (tummy tuck, arm lift etc...). This being said, your results will only be better if you were able to lose some weight in a healthy manner and keep it stable. Hope this helps!

Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Fat Reduction

Thank you very much for your question.

Weight loss can be very, very difficult.  Plastic surgery is not a substitute for weight loss.  Fad diets typically don't provide lasting results.  Balanced diet with exercise is a great start.  If that isn't doing it for you, then medically supervised weight loss treatments or surgical treatments will help you get down closer to your ideal weight.

Once you are closer to your ideal weight, then it's time to consider body contouring.  Doing the procedures on you at this point would have a higher complication rate due to your weight.

You can always consult with a plastic surgeon now to discuss your options, ultimate goals, and the path to get you there.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Liposuction - good idea after 50 pound weight gain

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• I am so sorry you have such a struggle with your weight.
  • You can have liposuction but I think you will end up disappointed -
  • Liposuction changes body contour -
  • Fat is removed in some areas but unless you lose weight it soon shows up in other areas.
  • At your height, the weight will also be a health issue eventually -
  • I strongly suggest that you ask your regular doctor to make sure you don't have a hormonal disorder -
  • And get advice on eating less and better and exercising much more.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Can I have liposuction being overweight

Liposuction is best reserved for patients of a normal weight who have specific areas of fat that are out of proportion to the rest of the body. BMI is a measurement of the height weight relationship. A BMI of 20 to 25 is normal, 25 to 30 is overweight and over 30 is obese. A patient of 200 pounds and only 5'6" tall is well into the obese category.  If your weight is continuing to rise and you are the obese category then liposuction is certainly not your best answer. There are many medically supervised weight loss programs that would be better for this type of patient. A call to a local hospital or local center for bariatric surgery will get a name of a reputable doctor in your area who can help manage your weight loss. Once the weight is stable and a bit less then you will be a candidate for surgery. Good luck.

Weight loss

Thank you for your question and photos.  It may be time for you to consider other options such as a medical weight loss program, the lapband, or the intragastric balloon.  Liposuction is NOT a weight loss procedure.  However, once you reach what is determined to be your goal weight, liposuction can help you in getting rid of the "stubborn" fat.  Keep in mind that with weight loss and liposuction, you might have loose skin that will need to be excised (tummy tuck, etc.).

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Looking to lose the fat

Thank you for your question.  Once your weight is stable, you would be a better candidate to proceed with surgery.  Your abdomen appears to have some excess skin in addition to fat and would benefit from a tummy tuck.  Liposuction would be helpful for the other areas.  An in person exam would be required to confirm.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Dealing with redundant skin and liposuction.

Liposuction of the back and thighs should yield a decent result. You should consider weight loss however. On the abdomen there is a surplus of skin they can only be dealt with by surgical excision. An abdominoplasty is certainly a consideration you should discuss with your plastic surgeon.

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting and Tummy Tuck

You should get a hi definition body procedure with fat removal of all areas , fat transfer to buttock and skin removal of the stomach.  you would look amazing and are a good candidate.  Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction/ weight loss

Liposuction is NOT a procedure designed for weight loss.  Liposuction is used to remove fat deposits that are resistant to diet and exercise.  The best long term results will be obtained when the procedure is performed on a patient with a normal BMI whom can maintain their current weight.  If your weight is constantly increasing, I would recommend to visit a weight loss clinic run by a physician with appropriate credentials.  This needs to be addressed prior to any cosmetic surgery to achieve optimal results.  

Andrew Freel, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon