I'm post op about a month n a half. When is a good time to start swimming or going to the lake?

I had my breast done about a month in a half ago and I was wondering when it would be a good time to start swimming/lake/river?

Swimming after breast augmentation

Typically, patients take anywhere from 3-6 weeks to recover. You should be fine to swim around the 4-week mark, although I would recommend contacting your surgeon if you have doubts.

I usually let my patients start swimming around the same time I let them exercise, about 3-4 weeks depending on the patient and recovery speed. 

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

1 month and a half Post OP

Thank you for your question.I advise my patients to wait at least 4-6 weeks before completely submerging their incisions.  It is very important that they are completely healed before getting into water.  At about six weeks, I would think you are ok, but always follow your plastic surgeon's post op care instructions.  Best of luck in your continued recovery!

Fred Hackney, MD

Swimming after surgery

Once all sutures are out and all incisions are perfectly closed it's typically ok to swim. If there is any kind of opening, even a small break in the skin from a suture or area of delayed healing it's best to wait until that's resolved. I would typically allow a patient of mine who is healing normally to swim in the ocean or lake as early as week 3. 

Gregory J. Stagnone, MD

Swimming after surgery

At this point in your recovery it should be fine for you to go swimming.  You want to ensure that all incisions are completely closed and that your surgeon is satisfied with your recovery.  Check with your surgeon just to be sure, but you'll most likely get cleared to go.

Camille Cash, MD

Swimming six weeks after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. At six weeks postoperatively, You should be able to swim and engage in most strenuous activities. Check with your surgeon for his or her specific recommendations, but I suspect you should be fine to go swimming. Best regards.

I'm post op about a month and a half. When is a good time to start swimming or going to the lake?

Thank you for your question. At 6 weeks you should be able to go swimming, as long as you have had a typical recovery. Please check with your surgeon to be certain this is the case. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD