Are patients intubated for an extended Macs lift?

I was intubated for an extended Macs lift. Is this usual? What determines the type of sedation used for this procedure? I also had neck lipo and upper and lower blepharoplasty, if this plays a factor in the determination.

Anesthesia for MACS Facelift

The procedure can be performed with either general or sedation anesthesia. Our preference is to use MAC. Generally, a patient's medical history and the preferences of the patient, surgeon, and anesthesiologist are factors. The key is to ensure an experienced and expert MD Anesthesiologist is providing the anesthesia. 

Anesthesia for MACS Lift

You can use both general or sedation anesthesia for the procedure you had. You do, however, need an anesthesiologist for either to assure maximum safety. The cost of either is the same. Doing the procedure under general anesthesia with intubation is both quicker and safer (in spite of what you may have read from those surgeons who cannot get an anesthesiologist because they work in a facility that is not accredited for anesthesia and your safety). I, therefore, do all my MACS Lifts under general endotracheal anesthesia. (See TodaysFacelift.com)

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia Used During a Facelift

#Facelifts and ancillary procedures are usually performed as #outpatient in a surgery center. A one night stay in post-operative care facility may be advisable in some cases. But, local #anesthetic combined with intravenous sedation is usually used. This will allow the patient to sleep through most of the procedure. General anesthesia is available upon request however is usually not necessary.

The Lite-lift™  is generally performed with a local anesthetic and medication by mouth, which will keep you comfortable during the procedure and allow for an easier recovery.
For more information about Lite-lift™, I welcome you to visit my website link provided below.