What could cause pain and tenderness in left breast and ribs/ricage towards the lat muscle? Capsular contracture?

So a few weeks ago I noticed that my left breast was tender and had slight pain along with rib pain. Super tender ribs and almost inflamed. I assumed I had just pulled or strained a muscle. The pain gets better then worse. I've also noticed that both breasts are a little harder almost like I can feel the implant. Does this sound like capsular contracture? Implants are 500 cc above muscle. I think they may be too heavy now due to weight gain and that's what has been hurting rib. Help!

Thank you for your question. Remember, it is best to be seen in person by a double-board-certified plastic surgeon for precise diagnosis and treatment.

Pain and Tenderness in Left Breast

HEALING AFTER BREAST SURGERY, AUGMENTATION, LIFTS

1.    pain is variable

2.    it takes 2-3 months for implants to settle and muscles to relax

3.    celebrex, motrin, and muscle relaxers can help

4.    massage and stretching may help

5.    everyone heals differently

6.    4-7 days off from work is common

HEALING OF SENSORY NERVES: Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps.

ASYMMETRY: The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

FOLLOW-UP EXAMS: These are generally done in 1 week, 2 to 3 weeks, 3 to 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months to 1 year, and 1-2 year intervals. In our office we include all of your follow up appointments in the initial surgical fee.

It is a good idea to follow along the healing process timeline while always checking in with your surgeon for follow-ups and taking any questions directly to them to make sure that everything is as it should be.

Breast pain - contracture

Hi. I'm sorry this is happening to you.  Certainly capsular contracture can get severe enough to cause pain.  There are several ways to deal with this issue and your plastic surgeon can certainly talk to you about the pros and cons of each method.  However, there are other issues that can cause breast pain, and you should see your surgeon to make sure that it isn't one of those factors as well.  Best of luck!

Jonathan Heistein, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Capsular contracture

You might have a capsular contracture or the pain may be from something else. Best to be evaluated in person.

Breast pain

Thanks for your inquiry.  Without an exam it is hard to advise,  you do sound like you could have early encapsulation.  Implants above the muscle are more prone to encapsulation.  Please visit your plastic surgeon to be evaluated.  

Thank you for your question.  The description of your discomfort could be an indication of capsular contracture.  However an in person examination by your plastic surgeon is necessary to make this diagnosis.

New pain after BA

Thank you for your question. It may be capsular contracture. I recommend you to see your surgeon for evaluation.

Pain in breast

Regarding this new pain, the symptoms are similar to that found in capsular contracture . The best way to have this diagnosed is to see a plastic surgeon who can examine your breasts, and get a detailed history of your symptoms. 

Hardness, firmness, and pain maybe signs of contracture. However, recent physical activity or strains in the muscle may also cause your symptoms. Good luck!

Kailash Narasimhan, MD
Sherman Plastic Surgeon

Breast pain, possible capsular contracture

It is hard to tell from your description.  It is possible that it can be a capsular contracture since you describe both breast as feeling harder.  Also it  can possible be a pulled muscle or a torn capsule that sometimes can happen with minor trauma.  Usually the pain in this case is self limited and will resolve on its own.  Your best option if this continue more than a couple weeks is to see a board certified plastic surgeon to examine you in person.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Breast tenderness

Hello and thank you for your question. I agree with the previous response that it is impossible to determine what may be causing your pain based on the description you have provided on this forum. I would highly recommend an evaluation by your surgeon to determine what may be causing your pain. 

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician