What do I need to do in order to have regular breasts? What are the treatment options? (photo)

I have recently discovered that my breasts are tubular, at 27. My doctors have never mentioned it but I knew they looked different than any others I've seen. So my question is, what kind of treatment would you suggest and what cost am I looking at? I've heard people say that insurance covered their surgery but the Dr. had to be extremely cooperative. I'm in Dallas.

Tuberous Breasts Can Achieve Good Results

Tuberous breasts have long been difficult to correct, however with newer techniques are providing excellent results. Every woman with tuberous breasts presents a bit different in how I handle the surgery. I look at placement of the implants (above or below the muscle), size of the implants, circumareolar lift possibilities, etc. Costs will vary depending on what area you are in. Larger metropolitan areas like Dallas tend to be a bit more pricey than San Antonio.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tuberous Breast Correction

Thank you for your question and photo. Tuberous breasts can demonstrate different combination and degrees of features such as wide spacing, constricted breast base, high or absent folds and herniated/puffy nipples. A combination of breast lift, release of constricted tissue and placement of implants is often beneficial to improve their appearance. Patients with severe tuberous breast deformity may undergo tissue expansion, infra-mammary fold lowering and reduction to the large nipple and/or areola before the implant is inserted.

I recommend that you meet with a board certified Plastic Surgeon who has plenty of experience in this area and discuss your goals and options at a consultation. Although the appearance of tuberous breasts can be distressing for many people, this is considered a cosmetic and elective surgery therefore not typically covered by insurance.

All the best

Options for Tuberous Breasts

Tuberous Breasts or #tuberous breast deformity are breasts with an unusual shape. They may be very narrow at the base on the chest, or the whole breast can be very narrow in shape. There are different variations of #TuberousBreasts but is a growth and development problem which may create a great deal of angst for a young woman.

Those with #TuberousBreasts are ideal candidates for #BreastLifts. Also, women with asymmetric or enlarged nipples or areolae (pigmented areas around nipples) also may be candidates for a breast lift or a modification of a lift. #Asymmetric breast can be adjusted by adding or removing volume. One side can be tightened more or less than another. In addition #BreastImplants commonly complement a Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) . Such is called #AugmentationMastopexy.

Without the Breast Lift, the breasts may appear larger and more droopy with solely implants. They will sag more and sooner, due to the sudden and excess weight. It's also possible for a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble to develop as a result. The implant with lift can also re-position the nipples which may have been affected by ptosis or drooping. One of the primary intentions of a Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) is to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used especially for breasts which sag or droop (#ptosis). Both procedures are commonly done together, in the same surgery to correct the effects sagging and turberous breasts.

What are the treatment options (tuberous/constricted breasts)?

Thank you for the question and picture.

Generally speaking, some of the characteristics seen with tuberous breasts include a very narrow base, short distance from areola to inframammary fold, tight (constricted) lower pole of the breasts, relatively wide space between the breasts, "puffy” areola and some degree of ptosis (drooping).

Generally, correction of tuberous breast anomalies involves breast augmentation with areola reduction / mastopexy procedure. The distance from the inframammary fold is increased (to create a more rounded out appearance). Proper implant positioning improves the distance (cleavage) between the breasts. The areola reduction helps to treat the pointed and "puffy" appearance of the areola.
In the most severe cases of tuberous breast, a more complete breast lift may also be necessary. 

In your case, if the appearance/shape/size of the breasts are a concern, you may be an excellent candidate for corrective surgery.
When you are ready, please make sure you consult with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who have significant (demonstrable) experience with this type of surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to corrective surgery for patients with tuberous/constricted breasts) helps. Best wishes.

Breast surgery

You do not appear to have tubular breasts. If you go with large implants only, your breasts will look just like they do now, but larger and fuller. 
If you want perky round breasts, then a mastopexy with implants can give you that perky round look, and reduce the size of the nipple areolar complex at the same time.

Insurance will not pay for any of this. For information purposes, a tubular breast can be correct a few different ways, the most common being a breast lift(mastopexy). Insurance will not pay for that, and any surgeon who gets them to do so, is treading very close to insurance fraud. This is a cosmetic deformity, although significant, but there is no medical necessity to fix it.

Good luck.