My desire is to have a smaller and narrow nose. Are my expectations reasonable? (photos)

I have a wide nose with a slight hump and a very bulbous nasal tip, which is exaggerated by a demarcation above the tip. My desire is to have a smaller, narrow nose (a straight nasal dorsum, a narrow, refined nasal tip, small dip between the nasal dorsum and tip). My profile does not concern me nearly as much as my front view. Also, I understand that I have thick skin (probably related to ethnicity) and a lower bridge; would these qualities complicate/interfere with the rhinoplasty?

My desire is to have a smaller and narrow nose. Are my expectations reasonable?

Yes I think but no personal  posted photos so can not verify my YES! Best to seek IN PERSON opinions.... 

Rhinoplasty Expectations

Dear wouldn't be nice, Yes your nose can be made smaller and the tip less bulbous through rhinoplasty surgery. You are an excellent candidate for rhinoplasty surgery and a consultation with digital imaging would allow you to see the proposed changes. You will be able to see how these changes look with your entire facial aesthetics and determine then if you would like to proceed with rhinoplasty surgery. During consultation your surgeon will discuss your skin thickness and facial anatomy and how this plays into your proposed final result. Your expectations are very reasonable. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D. 

Michael Elam, MD

Your expectations are reasonable   Make sure you choose a surgeon ghat is an expert in rhinoplasty znd you should get thd result you want.  Best to you

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for the photos and you appear to have realistic expectations so go on some consults with some experts in your area

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Rhinoplasty for the wide nose with bulbous tip.

Rhinoplasty for the wide nose with bulbous tip is what you need and will give u a more attractive nose. The photos you have shown are reasonable results to expect. See an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who does natural noses.

Rhinoplasty for bulbous tip and hump reduction

Thick skin can be an impediment to seeing a very refined result in the nasal tip. The bulbous tip is refined with suture techniques applied to the lower lateral cartilages. The dorsal hump is composed of  both bone and cartilage and must be shaved down in order to remove it. Osteotomies of the nasal bones are required after the hump reduction. This will also accomplish  narrowing the bridge line. For many examples of bulbous tip repair and hump reduction, please see the link below

My desire is to have a smaller and narrow nose.

It would be helpful to see photos of you to give you more detail.  But, if your nose is similar to the pre-photo of the actress, then, yes...your goals are achievable.  

Thank you for your question. Your concerns can certainly be addressed with a rhinoplasty. I recommend that you make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your surgical options.

While there are limitations in patients with thicker skin, your desires to "have a smaller, narrow nose (a straight nasal dorsum, a narrow, refined nasal tip, small dip between the nasal dorsum and tip)" are achievable with an artistically performed rhinoplasty.

Following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on 2 dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon with extensive nasal surgery experience who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist)  that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Reasonable Expectations for Rhinoplasty

Your expectations are very reasonable. Select an experienced specialist because you are correctly asking for subtle changes to achieve a natural result.