I'm 7 months post-op, my job is very physical. Should I still wear my binder while working?

Just wondering if the binder is hindering me more than helping me. .. core still very weak and still experiencing swelling ... my dr never put me in a compression garment only the binder. I had tt with mr no lipo.

Post-Op Tummy Tuck Healing

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area and the scrotal and penis area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate. Now, you have been out of surgery for seven months, and everything should be well back to normal. If you do not feel any more of the swelling or bruising in the area, then you likely do not need to wear the binder. However, if you are at concerned about the area then you should likely be able to contact your surgeon's office and confirm their instructions on how long you should wear this garment in your line of work. Good luck!

Is there benefit to compression 7 months after surgery?

Thank you for your question.  In my practice I recommend avoiding core exercises for three months and then no restrictions.  I have my patients wear compression for six weeks and then it is optional.  At seven months one should be healed enough to allow unrestricted activity.  I would expect some discomfort after muscle repair for up to a year.  Please discuss this with your surgeon for their specific advice.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon. Every surgeon has their own specific post op protocol for their patients and your surgeon is the best resource when questions arise. They are most familiar with your medical history, details of your surgery, and how you are healing.  In my office, patients who are seven months out from surgery would not need to wear a binder, unless they specifically felt that it stabilized their core while working.

Binder use far out from surgery

Thanks for your inquiry and real excellent question.  The use of binders early in your recovery is very surgeon specific.  I personally think they are very important for at least 6 weeks.  After that I still encourage patients to wear the binder when they are lifting anything heavy for the next 3-6 months.  Many people who have not had surgery who do a lot lifting,  use core support measures.  If you feel the binder is helping then use it, the question is if you think you are unable to perform routine activities without the binder, maybe you should use discuss with your plastic surgeon if there is an issue.  Good Luck.