Melasma or hyper-pigmentation? What can I do to clear all these blotches from my face?

Went for a photofacial to remove an age spot from my cheek. Did 3 sessions to my whole face since I had a few freckles. First round my skin was flawless. 2nd visit I had burns eveywhere. tech said my skin was more "sensitive" since I went while menstruating. Third didn't really do much. A year out I started getting blotches on my skin. I have since started taking birth control, mononessa 28. So did the burns cause this; hyperpigmentation, or the birth control; melasma. Or both? what can I do?

It is difficult to say what cause your problem. At this time it appears that you do have melasma and hyper pigmentation. It is difficult to get rid of completely but Q- Switched Laser treatments and Chemical Peels can help you a lot. You also should be very careful with sun exposure using mechanical protection  as well as the sunscreen for UVA and UVB lights 

All The Best !

India Plastic Surgeon

Melasma and treatments available.

More info on the video link below. (WEB REFERENCE)
Melasma can not be completely cured, however effective treatment are possible. This is because your skin is extremely sensitive to UV and even the smallest amount can stimulate your pigment cells to produce colour. The mainstay of treatment is strict UV protection- hats, sunglasses and SPF every 4 hours.

I prefer to use a combination of creams and laser for melasma. Hydroquinone can be used (5-8%), along with vitamin A creams. I usually start my patients on laser (low dose Q switch or Picosure) a few weeks after they commence on creams.

In some cases I combine glycolic AHA peels, and in other cases I use a tablet called Tranexamic acid to help.

Dr Davin Lim
Laser, surgical and aesthetic dermatologist
Brisbane, Australia

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Melasma to cheeks.

In looking at your photos, I would say in my opinion it appears to be Melasma. A great treatment you could do would be the Permea laser by Solta. With ANY laser for pigmentation, I always recommend pre-treating for at least 4 weeks with a Hydroquinone product. We have had great success using Dr. Zein Obagi's new line ZO's Melamin in the AM and Melamix mixed with Retin-A in the PM. Also, it is imperative to use a good sunscreen daily. 

Hope this helps! Be well.

#melasma   #IPL   #photofacial

Melasma and Sun Spots -- Best Treamtent Is Clear + Brilliant / Fraxel 1927 with Microneedling PRP, Pro Yellow is Useful

You have melasma that needs lightening creams and peels or lasers appropriately.  IPL isn't the best option for this.  Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Melasma and lasers for Dark Skin NYC

It would be best if you could post photos before the laser and after.  Currently you seem to have Melasma on the skin and I would recommend stopping the birth control pill if possible and having Cosmelan or chemical peels to treat your skin.  I would not recommend laser with your skin type. I have had amazing results with your skin type and pigmentation with Cosmelan. Best, Dr. Green