Lost weight. Breasts look/feel different. Revision needed but unsure what to do? (Photo)

I have 530cc's silicone implants under the muscle. Wanting a revision with slightly larger implant for a rounder look w/o looking fake. What profile of implants might I need? Mom of 3, 38 yo I weight training although I dont do any isolated chest. Over 3 mth I've had some pain in my L breast whicg was my more tighter breast (still looked good and matched my R) but over about a mth it's softened and seemed to drop now with more "bumps" that I can feel. Not sure what happened? Any recommendations?

Lost weight. Breasts look/feel different. Revision needed but unsure what to do?

Thank you for your question.  The weight loss has likely contributed to some of your volume asymmetry.  Using different size implants on each side can address some of that asymmetry.  However, going larger with your implant size is unlikely to make you look more natural.  An in person exam and evaluation would be required to outline an accurate treatment plan.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Hard to be rounder w/o looking fake

Thanks for your question and the photos. Sounds like you are feeling the edge of that implant which is common after weight loss. There is just less distance b/w the skin and the edge of the implant. You do appear to have a slight volume asymmetry but it's hard to appreciate how significant that is without an exam and measurements. Changing out to larger rounder high profile implants will not look "natural" but may be what you want. Larger implants might also risk malposition and asymmetry to make sure you and your surgeon discuss all your options as well as the associated complications. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Breast augmentation revision needed but unsure what to do?

Thank you for the question.  Based on your history, it is likely that you are feeling the breast implants more, after weight loss.  Achieving a "rounder look"  may require the use of higher profile silicone gel breast implants or overfilled saline breast implants. Sometimes, depending on physical examination, adjustment of the breast implant capsules is also necessary.  Breast lifting does not seem to be necessary in your case.

You will find that online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific advice in regards to selection of specific breast implant size/profile.  Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical. 

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “rounder without looking fake” or "D or DD cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery ( after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers). Viewing the patient's chest wall in the upright and supine positions, with temporary sizes in place, help select the best breast implant size/profile for the specific patient. I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to revisionary breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.