I'm losing my hair rapidly and I'm only 19. What should I do?

Hi so I'm currently 19 years old and this summer I have notice I lost a lot of my hair. The thing is, I didn't noticed it until someone pointed it out. im losing my hair from the back of my head. I usually eat fine and I have been taking biotin, fish oil on a daily basis and massaging my head with oil. I used to smoke but I stopped ever since I notice my hair lost. What should I do ? I'm still losing hair and it's been over a month and a half now

Thanks for your query. Male pattern hair loss is very common and it might start early these days. You can start on minoxidil after consultation with a dematologist as this will stop your hair fall and maintain your density. Hope it helps.
All The Best

India Plastic Surgeon

Hair loss -- PRP, Progesterone, Viviscal, Rogaine, Finesteride, Spironolactone, follicular unit (FUE) hair transplantation/ARTAS

Please see a physician who specializes in hair loss for a biopsy, blood tests and clinical examination to see what is best for treatment options.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Stop your hair loss on time

Hello. I will recommend that you consider a treatment to reduce the speed/stop your hair loss. Treatments such as Propecia/Rogaine or PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) are proven to be very effective. The use of non surgical treatments is to be continued for life and will not restore your previous hair line but will help you maintain your existing hair.Your hair loss can be genetic, stress related or a medical condition. My advise for you is to visit a  doctor who specializes in hair loss in order to find out the actual cause of your hair thinning. Once the cause for your hair loss is determined we can decide what is the best treatment to follow to prevent the hair loss to advance and restore it.PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) is one great option. This procedure consists on getting some of your blood and putting it in a machine that will separate the different ingredients that are in the blood. From those ingredients we take the growth factors and inject them in your scalp. These growth factors will start working in your follicles enhancing your hair and reducing (and even stopping) the rate of your hair loss. If your follicles have not been dormant for too long the hair can regrow. We are here to help you look and feel good.  Best of lucks!

William Yates, MD
Buffalo Grove Hair Restoration Surgeon

19 year old a losing hair

Your biggest enemy is the progressive thinning leading to a balding pattern that is not evident at this point in time. The degree of thinning that you are experiencing would suggest that you should see a doctor who most likely will get Bulk Measurements with the HAIRCHECK instrument which is very effective of predicting hair loss based upon early loss of your hair. It will determine the degree of your hair to determine the degree of the thinning that you are presently having. If the diagnosis is early genetic hair loss (the most common cause of hair loss in young men), then the best treatment would be the drug finasteride which is highly effective in men of your age and may not only stop the hair loss but possibly reverse it. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern the best test to get will determine the Bulk Measurements of your hair and this will show, over a one-year time frame, how effective the treatment will be. Once you know this information, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN which will define what you need to do over the years to come.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Rapid hair loss

I would consult with a hair transplant specialist. There are certain medical treatments that are available to slow down the loss and also to promote hair growth. It is very difficult to pinpoint without full medical history and examination what the cause is. 

Kyle S. Choe, MD
Virginia Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon