Will I lose sensitivity in my nipples after breast augmentation? (photo)

My PS doesn't think that my right breast needs a lift but feels that my left could use a slight lift and would perform it right at the top of my areole. I've seen pics of peeps getting lifts and incisions around their areoles and just wondered if there is loss of sensation and if so is it permanent.

Risk of Sensation Loss

Dear Squeeful, You actually have several issues going on looking at your pictures. First, your left fold looks higher than the right. Second, both folds are what we describe as “tight IMF (inframammary fold)”. This means that when you put in the implant your old fold is likely going to persist somewhat and give the allusion of a double bubble. I would caution you not to go too large of an implant, and you will likely need that crescent lift. The crescent lift will not effect sensation, but placement of implants always carries the risk of nipple numbness in the single digits percentage wise. The nerve to the nipple comes laterally under the fourth rib and then to the nipple and can be stretched with a larger implant. I hope this has been helpful. Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Will I lose sensitivity in my nipples after breast augmentation?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Loss of sensation

If one is only lifting the skin and not the breast then it is unlikely that the sensation will be damaged. Of course any operation on the breast can lead to decreased sensation and you always will need to consent to this but it is very very unlikely. 

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Sensation

There is always the risk of loosing some sensation with any breast procedure--augmentation with or without a lift. there is more risk with the augmentation than with the lift due to the location of the  nerves. However, the risk is low. Some women may have temporary loss of sensation as well.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Loss of sensitivity after augmentation

Thank you for your question. The loss of sensation depends on the incision used by your plastic surgeon. If a crescent lift is done, your sensation shouldn't be compromised or lost. Some women are hypersensitive to the loss of sensation, but this usually goes away with time. Best wishes!

Mary Jo Wright, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Nipple sensation after breast augmentation surgery and lift.

The incision for the "crescent lift" or the periareolar ("Benelli") lift should have no permanent effect on your nipple sensation since these procedures involve skin removal only.  The likelihood of permanent loss of nipple sensation is quite small and relates more to how large an implant is placed and how your nerves respond to being stretched. In my three decades of experience I have found that the incidence of permanent partial loss of sensation is extremely small.  It's a risk that you need to be aware of but rare.  Good luck. Jon A Perlman MD FACS  Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery  Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016  Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD