How long do I need to take off for my office job following breast augmentation?

I understand the general rule of thumb is a week. I have surgery on a Thursday and would like to get back to work the following Tuesday to avoid getting behind. Is this pushing it too much?

BA recovery duration

Assuming you don't have heavy lifting at your job and you are getting submuscular implants of reasonable size I think Tuesday is very reasonable for return to work. Monday will probably be okay. You will be sore, but will be able to get by with Tylenol. Best of luck! 

Breast Augmentation recovery

Thanks for your question.  My patients typically schedule their breast augmentation surgery on a Thursday or Friday and return back to a light duty, office job on Tuesday or Wednesday of the following week. It really depends on the patient, when you stop taking the heavy medications and being very careful not to lift, push or pull anything over 5 pounds for the first week!  (Don't forget about those purses!)  Listen to your surgeon's post op instructions and be sure to ask if in doubt about anything. Best of luck to you!

Fred Hackney, MD

Returning to Work Following Breast Augmentatio

As I advise my patients, if your #occupation keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If it is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical #activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note does not disclose what procedure they have underwent.
Therefore, you may be able to request a similar note from your surgeon. All in alI,I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your #BreastSurgery. Hope this helps you plan your return to work accordingly.

Time off following breast augmentation?

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast augmentation surgery.Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to returning to your specific line of work. He/she will know how you are progressing and whether or not you have experienced any complications. Generally, most patients are able to return to the “desk job” within 5 to 7 days. More strenuous work, for example involving lifting or extensive upper body movement, will require more time off.
Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Thank you for your question, Back to work depending on what type of breast augmentation you will have, normally a full work should be okay to get back to work. but you would need to give yourself more extra days to recover also depending on your type of job.

Surgical recovery should never be pushed

Short answer to your question is that it is possible to have reast augmentation on Thursday and go to work on Tuesday.  However surgical recovery should be treated with respect and caution. It is best to rest some more and let body recover unimpeded from surgery.  One week is more optimum recovery.    

Vasdev Rai, MD

If your job does not require any physical activity or strenuous work most patient are back to work after 4-7 days. It really depends on the patient. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Thank you for your question! The "rapid recovery" breast augmentation is a newer philosophy with many surgeons to expedite activity and expedite recovery following the breast augmentation procedure. In my practice, utilizing the fast track technique after breast augmentations, women are readily able and doing most things virtually immediately after this procedure. It is the similar techniques as described and is really gaining popularity. Meticulous breast pocket dissection and minimal bleeding have been shown to limit swelling and postoperative pain following the procedure. She is even recommended to go out for dinner that evening. Pain is often minimal and you will likely be on a scheduled antiinflammatory regimen/pain control along with early exercises/range of motion techniques immediately. Pain does vary among patients, however. Certainly, follow your surgeon's instructions for postoperative care and restrictions, but it is common for most women to resume many of the preoperative activities and duties within a week. I typically restrict heavy lifting and vigorous exercise for approximately 4-6 weeks Swelling and settling of the implant typically occurs over a 6-12 week period along with placement in a compression-type bra for the same time period, while your incisions commonly resolve to its final appearance in up to a year.

Consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon well-versed in breast procedures and one you are interested in are useful in order to discuss his/her technique as well as the risks and benefits of the procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a great result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast Augmentation Recovery

It may be possible to go back after work after that period of time. I'd recommend speaking with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for their recovery protocol. 

All the best. 

Recovery time for a Breast Augmentation

Hello, and thank you for your question,

Rule of thumb is about a week.  You should have no problems returning on Tuesday however, if you are undergoing surgery on the previous Thursday.

Listen to and follow all of your plastic surgeon's  post-surgical instructions.  Exercise will not resume for 5-6 weeks.

Dr. Obeng
Beverly Hills, CA 

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS