How long after upper and lower blepharoplasty can I expect my eyes to be normal?

I had blepharoplasty 2 weeks ago. My eyes are still watering, red and feel gritty. I saw my plastic surgeon 2 days ago and he said this will pass soon. I feel as if he is placating me. How long before I can expect some normalcy? Every morning they are almost glued shut.

Post Operative Eye Surgery

I am sorry that you are having a long recovery.  I have concerns that you are having watery, red eyes and difficulty in the closing of them.  You need to be seen by your operating physician and/or eye specialist to be evaluated.  Hopefully you have ointment or drops to lubricate your eyes.  Make an appointment as soon as you can and I'm sure a great deal of this can be addressed.  Good luck to you.

Red eyes after blepharoplasty

Although upper and lower eyelid surgery is fairly simple in concept and execution, the post-operative period can be difficult for a variety of reason. Infections can occur, swelling can be prolonged, and increased tearing or dry eyes can be troublesome. I always like to follow patients a little closer for these reasons. I would contact your surgeon as soon as possible and let them know what is going on.

Ben Lee, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Red watery eyes after blepharoplasty

Considering you are already 2 weeks out from surgery, I would be concerned about an infection or inability to completely close the eyes. I would consider getting your eyes checked by an eye specialist to make sure you don't have a corneal abrasion, and I'd recommend lubricating your eyes at night with a gel / ointment. I'd also recommend you see your surgeon again so they are aware.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.

Quintessa Aesthetic Centers

Andrew Campbell, MD
Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Irritated eyes after #blepharoplasty

I'm sorry your recovery has been difficult. I am concerned that your eyes are watery, red and gritty. These are signs that your tears are not properly lubricating your eyes. This can lead to a host of problems. It is not uncommon for patients to have a period of dry eye symptoms following eyelid surgery. The dysfunction that is causing your dry eye symptoms will improve with time (weeks to months). Hopefully, you have been given some eye drops and/or ointment to help lubricate your eyes. Keep in touch with your surgeon. 

Bradford A. Bader, MD
Plano Facial Plastic Surgeon