What is better Liposuction or Breast Surgery?

Hi, I am 32 yrs old and my breast size is 34D. They have sagged a lot and become very soft. I want to uplift and reduce my breast size. Uplifting of breast is more important for me than breast size reduction. Pls suggest what should i go for?

The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue for the first 3 to 4 months! 

Perkier breasts?

In reality, a breast reduction and a mastopexy are pretty similar. The incisions are usually the same the only real difference is whether or not breast tissue is removed. If it is removed it is considered a breast reduction and if only minimal tissue is removed its considered a breast lift.

It seems that your main concern is lifting the breasts. This would be a mastopexy. Some people do use liposuction on the breast but that is to achieve a minimal lift. If the nipple is really low and needs to be lifted a greater distance then an actual lift is the only thing that can do that for you.

The only way to give the best advice however, is by evaluating you in person. Whomever you go see, make sure they are a board certified plastic surgeon! I wish you all the best!

Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Dear Reader,

It seems you've only asked about a breast lift in your discussion so I will comment only on that.  A lift and reduction can be perform concurrently.  The remaining breast tissue can be reshaped in a way to give lift, volume and symmetry.  See the video link for an example.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
American Board of Plastic Surgery
American Board of Surgery

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Breast lift / reduction

Thank you for your question. acording to the information provided, you would definitely benefit from a breast lift, which reduces the skin envelope while reshaping the breast tissue into a more youthful and perky shape, some breast tissue can also be removed to reduce the size of your breasts. You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety. Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure. 

Which is best? liposuction of breast or a breast lift?

Hi Emily,

Liposuction will not change the shape or position of your breasts. However, a technique called The Horndeski Method will give you maximum lift without the extra cost, risks/complications and maintenance associated with implants. This technique has also eliminated the vertical scar component traditional methods offer. Take a look at the attached video to see what can actually be accomplished with current techniques.

Gary Horndeski M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Surgery

Breast surgery can sometimes be simplified by breaking it into 2 concerns which are size and shape.  There are different procedures for each problem but of course the solutions take everything onto account.  You have problems with both size and shape and only a breast reduction will fix that.  Breast lifts will fix shape and liposuction will fix size, but obviously a reduction will solve both issues for you.  Good luck.

Breast reduction and lifting

Thank you for asking about your breast reduction.

• Excellent question -
  • Liposuction will make your breasts smaller but will not lift them - so it is not for you.
  • You need a surgical breast reduction which will automatically lift and reshape your breasts while making them smaller. 
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Saggy breasts

Thank you for your question.  You stated that you want to uplift and reduce your breasts.  This can be accomplished with a breast reduction which would lift your breasts and reduce them to the size you want.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Liposuction or Breast Surgery?

I am assuming you are talking about liposuction of your breasts. If this is the case, then a breast lift with or without implants would be preferable to achieve your goals. Some breast tissue would have to be removed if you want to be smaller. Depending on how loose the skin is, liposuction would likely deflate the breasts further and possibly cause more sagging. An implant would give you more fullness in the upper part of your breast, but an implant combined with a lift becomes a much riskier procedure. Discuss the options with your plastic surgeon.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

The Best Surgical Choice

Thanks for your question.  In order to reach the goal you are looking for it sounds like you need breast lift with augmentation.  Liposuction will not help in regards to any sagging that you are experiencing.  However, you may also benefit from fat grafting to the breast.  This procedure actually uses liposuction to remove fat from unwanted areas (tummy, flank, inner thigh) and then is transferred to a place that lacks volume (such as the breast, buttock, or face.)  

Cheers and best wishes,
Steven Camp MD

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon